Fly dressings

keora

Reaction score
I've got a few books on fly dressing patterns, yet it's hard to keep up to date with new patterns.

Could anyone let me know the name of a web site that lists the materials needed to tie various flies?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Keith,

There are all sorts of websites covering fly dressing, most of them American.

What I would suggest you do is to buy the excellent book: " The Fly Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole. You can pick this up for about ?20 or even less.

This book gives you accurate tying details on a whole host of flies, which include detailed pictures of how to put the fly together.

It's one of the best publications I have seen on the subject.

And many modern dressings are just a variation on a theme.

sis the roach

Reaction score
yes i couldnt agree with ron more the fly-tying bible is one of the best recent fly tying books i bought it for my son all so trout fly patterns taff price for 6-99 is excellent

sis the roach

Reaction score
yes i couldnt agree with ron more the fly-tying bible is one of the best recent fly tying books 16'99 i bought it for my son all so trout fly patterns by taff price for 6-99 is excellent and has differnt patterns in it to the fly_tying bible

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

What do you mean by "In vogue patterns"?

Sounds like a lot of coarse fishers who think that the most important thing is the bait.

Seriously, all you need to know about fly patterns are the basics. From there, you can create patterns of your own, and therein lies the fascination behind fly fishing.

Remember one great truth about fly fishing: it's not what you fish, it's the way that you fish it that counts.

shootinfishin

Reaction score
Ron, I love the bible, I was merely pointing out that if the person reading expects to get all the in vogue patterns they best look elsewhere.
The bible is more traditional with some of the older lures as well.

I've been tying flies since I was a boy, at which time I didn't use a vice.

I hand tied to a size 16.

Lets face it, If that is my only critiscism of the bible then it is clearly a bloody good book!

Let me bring the thread back to the original question~; I've got a few books on fly dressing patterns, yet it's hard to keep up to date with new patterns.

The point is that with very successful current patterns such as the Cormorant not included!!! I reckon I have a fair point and have answered the question fairly mucker!

M

MarkTheSpark

Pete Gathercvole's book Fly Tying for Beginners is also very good. It's spiral bound, so it stays open at the appropriate page when you lay it down next to the vice. Has all the best patterns in it - or rather, samples from ranges of patterns, such as buzzers, sedges etc.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Do you know mate I have several flies in my box that are tied to that pattern or to a few of the variants. It came about some years ago when I looked into the fly box of a very good friend of mine who has won a few contests in his life.

However I can't remember what he called it.

But the pattern certainly catches fish.

shootinfishin

Reaction score
I know mate, I'm the same. The old patterns come around again re-packaged and renamed, sometimes with go-faster stripes LOL

I suppose that is what I meant by in vogue!

I like to call a cormorant a viva variant in that its like a viva with no tail :)

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If I had to pick 6 flies to put in my box to fish with for the rest of my life on still waters they would be the following:

1: Black Buzzer
2: Invicta
3: Viva
4: SA Damsel
5: Diawl Bach
6: Daddy Long Legs.

I would also want to add the hawthorn fly as when you need this pattern, you need it. But the season is very short.

shootinfishin

Reaction score
For me its:

1. Cormorant with green head and jungle cock cheeks.
2. Black epoxy buzzer with orange cheeks.
3. Traditional plain diawl bach.
4. PTN
5. Clan chief
6. Orange blob (sorry but it's a deadly trout pellet imitator in a comp bashing rank stockies)

I like competitive fly fishing as well as for fun.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Orange Blob!!!!

Oh how disgusting. I do admit to having one of them in my box. I bought it at Rutland, but I daren't use it as I'm scared of ruining my image!!!!!

:eek:)

My tying for the black buzzer also includes orange cheeks but I tie it with floss and peacock herl as I think trout hold onto something soft for longer. I rib it most times with white cock hackle stalk. I've caught hundreds and hundreds of trout in 6 countries with this tying.

I don't know the Clan Chief. Probably tied with haggis fur!

shootinfishin

Reaction score
You haven't had a fright till a big trout launches out of the water after an orange blob you are just lifting out as top dropper, scared the crap out of me.

Gink soaked orange blob on the surface can be deadly for new stock..

A clan chief is a bit like a wooly worm with a red and yellow short tail. The hackle (red and black)is palmered down the fly with an additional front black hackle.

never tried the hackle stalk idea, any chance of a pic to see one in the flesh as it were?