Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly dressings

I've got a few books on fly dressing patterns, yet it's hard to keep up to date with new patterns.

Could anyone let me know the name of a web site that lists the materials needed to tie various flies?

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) Guest

Keith,

There are all sorts of websites covering fly dressing, most of them American.

What I would suggest you do is to buy the excellent book: " The Fly Tying Bible" by Peter Gathercole. You can pick this up for about 20 or even less.

This book gives you accurate tying details on a whole host of flies, which include detailed pictures of how to put the fly together.

It's one of the best publications I have seen on the subject.

And many modern dressings are just a variation on a theme.

Shrek Guest

Keith,

You might have some success on these sites:

www.completefisher.com

www.flyforums.co.uk

They both have dedicated "Step by step" sections for fly tying that might show you some extra patterns.

Then the last site I know about is this one:

FlyTyer.com

which might be of the most use to you.

Hope this helps.

Adrian

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one) Guest

A good site HERE

Thank you for the sites.

http://www.completefisher.com/forum/index.php

Like was said above, Can't speak highly enough about completefisher for all fluff chucking requirements!

yes i couldnt agree with ron more the fly-tying bible is one of the best recent fly tying books i bought it for my son all so trout fly patterns taff price for 6-99 is excellent

yes i couldnt agree with ron more the fly-tying bible is one of the best recent fly tying books 16'99 i bought it for my son all so trout fly patterns by taff price for 6-99 is excellent and has differnt patterns in it to the fly_tying bible

Agree about the bible, apart from the absence of in vogue patterns.

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) Guest

What do you mean by "In vogue patterns"?

Sounds like a lot of coarse fishers who think that the most important thing is the bait.

Seriously, all you need to know about fly patterns are the basics. From there, you can create patterns of your own, and therein lies the fascination behind fly fishing.

Remember one great truth about fly fishing: it's not what you fish, it's the way that you fish it that counts.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast