Starting Fly Fishing

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Hi Janet, what days are you off this week? I could come up if you like and we can go on Calder for a few hours, even if it's after work.

I'm away Sea fishing Tues, Wed but back thurs if you fancy it you have my nuber give me a call.I'm no expert at all but i will show you what i have learnt.

If you fancy press Manor fish-in you can come in my car if you like, i know you don't drive.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way JSD, as a newcomer to fly fishing, take note of the following safety tips.

In addition to spectacles which are a must, you need also a decent hat, NOT a basball cap as these will not protect the back of your neck from wayward casts. A wide brimmed bush hat is perfect.

Even on a hot day, wear long sleeves to protect your arms.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Oh, and Janet, you need a tweed skirt honey :)

ron i don't have one of these hats you are talking about could you supply me with one at Press manor? :)

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Wendy - my mobile is on the blink, so I can't retrieve your number! Thanks for the kind offer, but I don't get home from work until quite late, and I don't have a day off this week until the weekend. I don't think we'd have enough time to get a session in after work. Lovely offer though, and I'm sure it won't be long until we meet up.

The fish-in sounds great, but unfortunately I go away on 12th May for two weeks on our annual narrowboat trip on the canals round the South Pennines. Looking forward to it more than ever now I know how to try and catch all those fish I can see when I'm on deck!

Ron - I'll remember your safety tips! Jeeeez....it sounds dangerous stuff! Haven't got a hat like you describe, but I'll get one!

Wendy - can I borrow one of your tweed skirts?

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Hahaha BC i think it sounds perfect!

Janet, when you get back from your trip give me a call and we'll get out there. I'll hopefully have learnt a bit more then and i will pass on everything i have learned.

Are we the same size skirt janet? :)

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Same skirt size? I doubt it! I'm looking for something a little on the generous size! I'm built for comfort, not speed!

I'll call you as soon as I get back, and we'll try and sort something out for the summer. I'm sure we'll have a great laugh!

Can you send me your number again? I think I'll get it back when I get a new phone and put my SIM card in it, but just in case!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Many thanks for all your help guys. I'm going out for a practice session with Martin next week. I'll let you know how I get on!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Just back from my day's tuition with Martin James on the River Ribble. Absolutely fabulous. I've learned SO much in just one day that I can't quite take it all in yet.

I'm really going to love this fly fishing lark! My arm's aching, my head's spinning, but I thoroughly enjoyed the whole day.

Amazing.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Well done Janet! I told you you'd like it, I wish you could have made press manor on Saturday we could have learnt together then.

It's fun isn't it, i love it now!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Wendy, it was just great. An unbelievably good day. I've never been out in a river in waders before! Strange feeling, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

I've now decided though that Martin is absolutely barking mad!(in the nicest possible way!)

The last hour was totally unbelievable. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would have thought that someone was exaggerating and telling a few tall tales, but I watched it from start to finish, and saw the beautiful big brownie at the end. You should have been there to see his face when he landed it! Pure magic. I'm going to post a full report shortly.