Starting Fly Fishing

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Good afternoon guys,

I recently went out for a day's fly fishing tuition with Martin James from Radio Lancashire, which unfortunately we had to cut short due to adverse weather conditions. We'd have been better off flying a kite than trying to cast a line!However, we're going out again shortly, when hopefully I'll be able to learn more about what seems a fascinating way to fish.

Since our trip, I've been out and bought rod, reel, line etc, but now need a bit of help to put it all together.

I'm sure the information is all here on the forum somwhere, but I keep getting sidetracked (and confused!) whilst searching for the correct knots to use to connect everything properly. Can someone please point me in the direction of the relevant threads that may help me to get everything set up correctly, or perhaps offer any advice which may be of use?

Although Martin kindly provided all the equipment on our last trip, and will do so again, I'd really like to use my own rod this time, and show him that I haven't wasted my time since our trip.

Thanks guys!

Janet

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Janet did the tackle dealer sell you the tackle? If so it is normal practice when selling to newcomers for him to load the reel with sufficient backing, attach the fly line to the backing and connect a spliced loop onto the end.

If he has not offered go back and ask him to do so. Then it is a simple matter of connecting a leader and tippet to the spliced loop on the end of the fly line and tying the fly of your choice onto the end of your tippet.

If you choose fluorocarbon as a material for your leader and tippet then a straightforward four turn blood knot will suffice to connect it to the fly line.

You can buy ready to go tapered leaders of various lengths from most tackle shops.

A nine foot leader will be perfect for beginners. It is common practice to extend the length of your leader with a tippet.

The tippet is usually a short length of the same type of material as your leader but of a lower breaking strain than the thin end of your tapered leader.

If your fluorocarbon tapered leader starts at 15lb and decreases to 8lb (it will say so on the packet) then using a four turn water knot connect around two feet of six pound fluorocarbon to it.

Now all you do is attach your fly again using a 4 turn blood knot.

Google up fly fishing for beginners there is stacks and stacks of stuff with far more detail than explained here.

If you are still in doubt then ask Ron who appears to know everything! tsk tsk.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
I bought the gear from my local tackle shop, but as they freely admit, they aren't fly fishing experts, although they keep a stock of certain items to satisfy their customers. I didn't feel totally confident in getting them to set it all up for me.

I thought it best to learn how to do it myself. I can't keep relying on other people to do it for me! If I want to be a proper angler, I have to learn how to do it for myself. You can't keep using the helpless female ploy! The trouble is, there was so much to take in on my day with Martin, and it's so different to my usual coarse fishing that I'm getting myself confused by having just too much information!

I've managed to attach the backing line to my reel using an arbor knot and connected my fly line to that with an allbright knot. May not be the neatest of knots, but I'm sure I'll improve with experience!

Now I'm just a little bit stuck as to what to do next. I bought a reel of fluorocarbon line to use as a leader, but I also bought some braided leader loops and now I'm getting confused as to how or when to use them. Do I attach this braided leader to my fly line, followed by fluorocarbon, or have I just bought something that I really don't need? (I was on a bit of a shopping frenzy at the time! Other women buy shoes or handbags - I buy fishing tackle!)

I've googled fly fishing for beginners and that's why I turned to you guys! Too much information was getting amazingly confusing. I knew that people like yourself and Ron would be able to (hopefully!)simplify it a bit for me.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Janet , are you going to Press Manor ?,if you are all will be revealed we will all help you and put you right ,its easier if someone shows you rather than read about it.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Your braided leader loop packet should have instructions on how to attach them, it is not difficult just take your time and be careful with the superglue. Once done tie your leader to the loop as described.

There should be a site on Roman Moser leader sets giving detailed instructions on how to do it on the net, check it out.

If you have not got instructions then mail Graham with your home address and I will post them on to you.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Many thanks for the information. I've managed to attach the braided leader to the fly line, after a bit of searching on the net to make sure I was doing it right. Not as difficult as I thought, once I figured it out. Gives a lovely neat finish too. I'm quite proud of myself! I know it's not rocket science, but it's a whole new thing for me!

I haven't used superglue though, (mainly as I don't have any!) but instead just used the plastic sleeve that came with it. Will that be sufficient, or do I really need to use glue? It seems like a very strong connection, (I can't break it!) but I don't want to take any chances.

I've added a nine foot tippet as you advised, and have spent an interesting hour practicing on the back street with various young urchins asking "Caught anything yet missus?" After nearly hooking the neighbour's cat, a wheely bin and a passing pigeon, I was glad I'd taken the precaution of snipping the hook off the fly!

I bought a reel of Climax 6lb Fluorocarbon to use as a leader. Would you advise using this, or should I really invest in a tapered leader as you suggested?

Janet

PS. Morespiders. What's Press Manor?

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
I think you mean that you have added a nine foot leader not a tippet, tippets are the added short lengths of line at the end of the leader.

Try just using ten feet of 6lb fluoro straight through from the loop to the fly to start practicing.

Important when practicing do not use a fly to begin with, instead tie a piece of wool onto the end of the line. That way you will not hook the cat or anyone around you!

I have seen other anglers lose their loop and entire leader because they have not glued it, I also know of anglers who never glue them.

You do not need masses of glue to secure it and the short piece of tubing will not fully guarantee to hold it in place for ever. So buy some super glue, push the tube back, glue it, wait five minutes or so then carefully slide tube back in place.

Finally please always make sure you are wearing eye protection either glasses or Polaroids when casting a real fly, they hurt especially when embedded in your pupil!!!

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Sorry, I stand corrected. I'm a bit new to all this terminology!

What I've done is to add a nine foot length of fluorocarbon straight through from the loop on my braided leader to the fly to allow me to practice casting.

I will take your advice, and get some superglue tomorrow. Better safe than sorry!

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
No need for apologies Janet we have all been there (unless your Spiders of course who is permanently there).

Just practice putting short lengths out (no rude comments gentlemen please) and as you improve then increase the distance in short increments. Very soon you will have it off to a tee.

Some of the fly casting DVD's are very helpful, Joanne Wolfe is a very talented lady caster and her DVD is excellent.

Good luck BC.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Only the slightest drop JSD, just enough to go through the braided loop onto the flyline underneath, also make sure your locking tube goes over the end of your loop slightly so there are no ends of the loop showing, otherwise your line catches on the ends all complicated really, unless you are shown.

Janet (AT)

Reaction score
Muppets! Nice ones though! Night night to all, and thanks for the advice.