Were to Fish

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a place to try fly fishing near my home town of Heywood, Lancashire?
Ideally the venue would hire tackle and have tuition as this would be my first attempt.
Thanks in advance

Gav Barbus

Reaction score
Curleys Trout fishery Horwich 01204 691783.Don't know what the fishings like but they hire tackle and do tuition,I picked the leaflet up from tackle shop recently,you have just missed a fly fishing day though I also missed it and was gutted as like you I needed showing the ropes.Good luck anyway David .

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Dear David,

Can I suggest an entirely different way of learing trout fishing which many don't do these days but could be well worth while in setting some great realistic expectations as you get stuck into fly fishing. Start fishing on a river for wild fish. To do this is a little bit harder than on a stocked lake, but the rewards I think you'll find are far greater, and the things you'll learn such as matching the hatch etc are lessons that will sort you out with fly fishing for life. This being so I'd contact Martin James at the Edisford Hall fishery near Clitheroe Lancs. The river here is a wild fishery with a good head of brown trout and grayling. Martin is an excellent fisherman and guide and really knows his stuff. A day on the river is ?25 and Martin might ask for a contribution to a charity if he coaches you. He also is the UK rep for Thomas and Thomas tackle (superb stuff) so can no doubt provide tackle. Give him a call, and I'm sure he'll be very happy to talk to you. his number is 077794 73798 .

I started off on artificially stocked lakes before finally seeing the light and moving to wild fishing at a later date. Start wild fishing and you'll save yourself three years!

Best of luck and let me know how you get on.

Rich

P.S failing that contact Barnsfols fishery near Goosenagh. Great stillwater with plenty of grown on naturalised fish that feed avidly on the abundance of natural food. Lots of dry fly sport and matching the hatch so you'll learn a lot here too.