I love fly fishing!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Last night i went on a local river near to me, and had an awesome time. I caught 5 brown trout, and the biggest must have been 2lb!!! I never took my camera with me to show you all the fish i caught, but it was fantastic.

The river was so shallow you could see the trout swimming and rising for flies, i spotted one behind a stone, cast my fly to it, and it took it! It was like watching something you see on TV, watching the trout take my fly.

I must get myself a fly bag and one of them posh waistcoat things, because i feel i am going to be doing alot of this fly fishing from now on.

The fly i used, i haven't a clue what it was, it looked like a smaller version of a daddy long leg? I was using a buzzer to begin with and had nothing, as soon as i changed my fly i didn't stop catching.

J

john conway

Well done Wendy a 2lb plus trout is a good fish for a river, were you fishing a dry fly or wet? The fly wallet is a must the waistcoat can wait.

T

The Monk

yes it is a lovely way to catch fish Wendy, I used to particularly likefishing or coarse fish, Chub and Dace on the Ribble, a nice light way to fish also inthat you don`t have to lug the bivvy and the house around and you can wander up and down the river looking for rises and fish

T

The Monk

I would also wear a hat and glasses just in case, flys can sometime go off course when casting

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I was fishing both John, dry on the dropper and wet on the point, i caught on the point with every fly.The 2lb trout was amazing, i had a little audience watching me as well, so i was praying i did it all ok. Some people were gob smacked! They didn't believe there was fish in the little river.

Monk it was great! I always wear my glasses, i don't have a hat apart from a baseball cap, and somehow it doesn't look right, i'd like a nice fly fishing hat though. Nick i sent you an email of the place i went. :)

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
I've tried looking for the name of it in my little fly book Adrian, but there are so many that look like it.

I'm gonna go again tonight i think and take my camera this time!

Y

yoggy

Well done Wendy. I envy you!!!!.I just wish I had more time to pursue my Fly-fishing. Fly-fishing on a river is fantastic.

Once work has calmed down I`ve promised to do more Fly-fishing...its good for the soul!!!!.

I`ll try and get up north sometime.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Yeah you should do Yog, there is some fantastic little rivers up here!

I agree fly fishing is good for the soul!

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
Been again tonight on this River, i had a trout that was from my finger tips to my elbow in length. And forgot camera again!!!

This time i caught it on a dry fly on the point, i think (i'm not sure) it was a mayfly i used this time. This fly fishing just gets better and better.

C

Colin North, the one and only

Hi Wendy, It seems that your fairly random selection of flies works very well. So much for matching the hatch and all that. More power to your elbow is whay I say.

Not much river fishing down here in the South I'm afraid.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Wendy now don't get this wrong. You said the last two times you have been fishing you have forgotten your camera.

If I am correct and I hope that I am not, I then take it that you have forgotten your mobile phone. As you have stated in the past your phone has a camera on it.

My point is that when you go alone in the evening climbing down banks and wading in a rocky river it can be quite dangerous, consequently it is very easy to have an accident.

Twisted or broken ankles due to slippy rocks are certainly not rare events for that type of angling.

Should you be alone without your phone who knows what the outcome could be.

Always, always take your mobile with you.

Think about it, it should be the first thing on your check list. It could save your life and we don't want to lose yet another angler for no reason.

And especially for a woman angler alone in the evening, in this day and age with lord knows what scum lurking I think you know better, no excuses next time Wend, better safe than sorry.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
BC, my camera on my mobile has broken, my friend has lent me her digi camera till i get a new one. I take my mobile everywhere with me.

I'm going tomorrow, i will make sure i have my camera, and then show you how gorgeous these fish are.

Thank you for your concern BC.

Colin, i try to see what flies are on the water and just look to see if i have the same or very similar.

The Bone Collector

Reaction score
Pleased to hear it Wend especially as you fish around Greater Manchester.

All anglers should carry a mobile in their pocket, men women alike.

Not doubting your claims Wend just concerned about your safety.

Hope you have got yourself a wading staff or stick, even a landing net pole or or an extending bank stick will do at a pinch.

Lost a very close friend around ten years ago, got caught out in a flash flood on the border Esk, he had no chance, all happened in a matter of minutes.

Even a mobile would have not saved him. So take care and watch the weather forcast before you go.

I know how gorgeous the fish are, especially the brownies, they are all minters and their variations are stunning.

Good luck and safe wading, remember small steps at a time.

BC.

Wendy Perry 2

Reaction score
BC, i must admit i haven't got myself a wading staff as yet. The little river i am fishing i am on the bank and not in the river, so please don't worry i am safe there.

I want to try some of the other bigger rivers around here, but i won't do until i get a wading staff.

Once again BC, thank you for looking out for my safety, it's nice to know someone cares :eek:}