Learning to Fish

R

Robert Draper

I would love to give fly-fishing a go on places like Foremark. I have a basic kit and I know roughly how to cast (a lesson and extensive practice on the footy field) but how do you actually use the kit to catch a fish? Is there anywhere I could go for a lesson spent actually fishing as opposed to just casting (preferably midlands to south Yorks)?

Cheers

R

Ron Clay

Generally speaking some of the best cast teachers are not very good at basic angling techniques and in terms of still water fly fishing this means how to pull it back.

I would suggest you get hold of some books.

1. "My Way with Trout" by Arthur Cove. This is the best book ever written on nymph fishing.

2. "**** Walkers Trout Fishing" - 1 and 2
The advice in these books is definitive

T

Terry Mann

I would add one book to that," The pursuit of Stillwater trout" by Brian Clarke a brilliant book that made everything become clear to me and stopped me from the chuck it out and pull it back syndrome.
Robert I am sure that if you go to Foremark and talk to the staff there they will put you on the right track to someone to help you. I only the get up there a couple of times a year but I find it one of the most
friendly fisheries out,and they do brilliant
bacon rolls !

I

Ian Whittaker

Robert,
Get the gear together and head off for the day to a well stocked fishery.Give yourself plenty of time to "play"and spend some time in the company of like minded people many who will delight in giving info.
Have fun!

R

Robert Draper

Looks like I'll be reading until Foremark opens then :). I wish the bigger day ticket places did lessons, it would give me a bit more confidence. When I took up Golf I trotted down to my local course and enrolled on a course of six lessons for about a fiver each, basic equipment was provided and there were about a dozen of us learning together, everything from the swing to etiquette. The tutors explanation was that by giving lessons the new players emerge onto the course with a basic clue and tend not to get embarassed by their lack of skill or annoy experienced players.

Angling in general could do with a scheme like that.

R

Ron Clay

Actually Terry I was trying to think of the name of Brian Clarke's book. It's definitly a classic and well worth reading.

Further advice is to learn to tie your own flies. Self tied flies are far superior to the overdressed rubbish that is on sale in most shops.

You don't need to learn to tie complicated patterns.

1: Midge pupae and a few emergers.
2: Damsel Nymph
3: GRHE nymph.
4: Montana.
5: Black & Peacock Spider

These 5 patterns will catch you an awful lot of fish

I

Ian Whittaker

I think Rob Horsfall does that type of thing: Casting lessons & fishing lessons, and courses also at Myerscough Agricultural College, near Garstang.I think he advertises in Trout & Salmon magazine.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Get yourself up to Ravensthorpe when it opens [01/03/02], great little fishery with a high rod average. 01604 781350
Colin

R

Robert Draper

Just one more question (for now...) will I need a pair of waders for bank fishing at Foremark or are the fish reachable from dry land?

T

Terry Mann

Rob,
I would,nt advise waders for Foremark. The depth drops off very quickly close to the banks which are quite steep in places.I,m not sure if waders are in fact banned there because of that.
You will find that fish will come in fairly close and remember that correct presentation is more important than distance.
Best of luck Terry

R

Robert Draper

Thanks folks, I have a few weeks reading up to do then I'm off for a bash, I may have a few more questions then. I had a look through a book on fly-tying in the local library yesterday, if I started tying my own flies as well I thought that I could move into my shed permanently and rent out the house...

J

Jonathan Faro

Ok one little thing yeah fishing could do with proper but affordable training but any fisherman will help you my best moment of this season so far was me and a irish dude helping an old dude catch his fist course fish and all it took was a few smaller hooks bit of advise and a lesson in the use of a disgorger easy as that but as 'm taking up fly fishing I hope that this will eb receprocated

jon "it's been emotional" faro

M

Mark Frame

a lot of the comments made so far are all relevent but one is missing
when you first get to the water geared up right length leader right (hopefully fly)
dont spoil your chances by trying to cast into the middle of the lake try standing back and casting in the margins first
then casting fan shape and then gradually get further out to many people cast past the fish and spook them before they get going.
thinking about it maybe we are all guilty of slinging out into the middle and then moan when we catch nothing