Fly Fishing comercials

Peter West

Reaction score
Hi All. Does any body know of a good book on fly fishing commercials and describes how to fish buzzers, wets, and lures correctly, getting really pi**ed off with myself, lets face it, its not cheap at these establishment, and you do want to have a good day, none of my mates are into fly fishing, I have had lessons in casting so i am OK in that respect, sadly the man who taught me to cast has passed away, great character Ron Horsfall from Lancashire, so really i suppose it more the water craft i need, went yesterday came away with one, where everybody else is end up with quite a few, this happens most time i go, never had more than four in three years, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks Pete

S

Shrek

"My Way with Trout" by Arthur Cove

I've a copy that you are more than welcome to borrow long term if you'd like to. Email me if you'd like a read and I'll get it off to you as soon as.

Cheers,

Adrian

keora

Reaction score
The best book to buy is "Trout from Stillwaters" by Peter Cockwill. It was published by the Crowood Press last year and is a revised and enlarged version of a book he wrote in the 90s.

It's well written and it's aimed at both beginners and experts. It has helpful advice on choice of tackle, the trout's natural food and the flies which anglers use tocatch them.

Peter includes a list of his ten basic flies, which are

Cat's whisker, Viva, FM damsel, Blue Flash damsel, Montana Nymph, Orange Fritz, Pheasant tail nymph, Gold ribbed hare's ear, Superglue Buzzer and Bead Bloodworm.

He also describes in detail a much wider range of flies, and how to use them, for those who are more experienced, and there's good clear photos of all the flies.

The book's a good buy at £17.

Peter West

Reaction score
Thanks Adrain and Keith. Will have a loom at both books, Adrain really apprecaite the offer will email you, don't worry i will look after it,

keora

Reaction score
Yes Peter, I'm afraid I missed out the" small "bit.

It is a good book. It musthave obviously sold well in the1990s, otherwise the authorand publisher wouldn't have updatedit and reissued it.

It's particularly good on modern flies incorporating new materials, especially lures. Fly patterns go out of fashion quickly. And the author's not sniffy about using lures.

There is another book on lake fly fishing which has recently been published: "Reservoir Fly Fishing Techniques", by AdrianFreer. Itlooks useful, but since it mainly coversbig reservoir techniques, it may not be what you are after.