I'm learning to fly fish

A

Andy Lodge

hiya lads and lassis today i was in my local tackle shop and i noticed this all in one fly fishing now i hav allway wanted to try fly fishing you get all the things to start you off now wot a was wondering was how do you load up the fly real propley and tye the the flys to the backing i think thats right if not ansers on a postcard thanks alot andrew

R

Robert Draper

Well Andy, I'm about as green as you but what I've gleaned from books and the fine fellows here (and on another august forum) is as follows:

1. Get a reel with a spare spool and wind your flyline onto this (starting with the tip for reasons soon to become obvious)
2. Wind on backing (I use the braided stuff but as yet I don't know why...) until the reel is filled to your satisfaction.
3. Put the other spool on the reel and wind the backing and line off the other spool.

This allows you to adjust the amount of backing without removing the line over and over again.

As for knots, I needle-knotted a short length of 18lb mono onto each end of my flyline and put a good strong loop in the mono. This allows me to loop-to-loop my backing and my leader. As for tying the fly I think you need a knot called the Turle knot although I use a tucked half blood knot as I know how to do that one.

There is an american website that someone pointed me to with some of this illustrated. If I find it I will post it.

M

Mark Frame

andy
if you ask the dealer in the shop he will probably show you how or maybe spool up the line for you ask him for advice does he stock much fly fishing tackle?
if he does he should be able to help
a lot of tackle shops just sell the tackle and dont actually know a jot about fly fishing avoid these like foot and mouth disease

A

Ashley Cleland

Hi Andy
I know how to fish with the fly rod.
the things that i need is some tips for
fly fihing!

A

Andy Lodge

hiya ashley
well i cant realy tell u alot becoz im new 2 fly fishing but wot im doin is gettin some books and stuff on tips and tricks of how 2 do things so all i can tell u is that look 4 books and web sites 4 info or post a link on the forum

D

Davy North

Fly fishing is something I would like to take up myself, and from this tread I see I'm not alone.

It's not so much the tackle and using it that bothers me, it's choosing the fly's. Where do you start! Matching the hatch and all that. I all seem very complicated.

G

Gerry Castles

Don't worry about flies. There are several generic patterns of floating and sinking nymphs like the Hares Ear, Pheasant Tail Nymph and Daddy Long Legs that will catch anytime anywhere. You'll get by in the first trip or two with about 5-6 different patterns. More often than not I've used no more than 2-3 patterns in a day's fishing. As you progress then you'll learn about flies from experience and from what other fishermen are using on your local water. What you need to concentrate on, is making sure you have the right gear and knowing how to cast effectively and safely. Rod, reel line combinations need not cost a lot and a budget of ?100 will get you started on the water and will catch fish. Don't forget it's not only trout you should be thinking of. You can catch pike ,carp, perch, chub, roach rudd and I've caught bream in september when they are fry feeding. As a start you should buy Trout Fisherman magazine and find yourself a casting instructor, preferably based at a local trout lake and check that they can supply equipment. The mag will also have ads from the major retailers which should give you an idea of the cost involved. Airflo are a good budget supplier as are John Norris. Ask the instructor about suitable rods, reels and bitz, they are usually very helpful and will steer you clear of the rubbish. Also take a look at
www.globalflyfisher.com. It's a good site with a lot of useful information about tackle and flies. Good luck and if you are just starting out with a fly rod, the most important piece of equipment is a pair of glasses preferably polaroids. A learner and a fly rod can do a lot of damage, usually to yourself.