I'm going fluff chucking

Murray Rogers

Reaction score
Due to home commitments over the last 4 years my fishing has had to take a back seat and i rarely get out these days. But my local country pub has a Trout club and it seemed like a good compramise, i can get out for a day every couple of weeks and without all the hooha of speci angling.

I've been reading through a lot of the old threads here and have ordered a starter kit from Garry Evans shop which give me a Greys 9.5 6/7 rod, Greys reel with 2 spare spools, 3 lines loaded on with backing, box of flies for about £250.

Can't wait for them to arrive and then of to Dever /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

C

Cakey

good luck Murray..................................and with the arse kicking

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Excellent plan and the right sort of tackle to start with too. Not too long, not too heavy.

Wish I'd had the sense to get some lessons when I started out, would have prevented me developing the five or six infelicitous imperfections in my technique which are habits I am now too old and crusty to ever change.

Mind you, when I first started I was only 12 and teaching myself from books with a float rod and cooking string....

E

Evan the Welsh Windbag

Two quick tips for the beginner, subject of course to what your instructor tells you to the contrary,

buy a cheap second 'mill end' line to practice with on your local piece of grass. Won't matter if it gets ruined, but practice undoubtedly makes perfect with fly casting, as much a timing and rhythm thing as it is power. And it is actually slightly harder to cast off grass than it is off water, as the water gives much more drag and resistance to the line, bending the rod more than slippery grass. V good practice, just don't use a good line.

Secondly you don't have to spend a fortune at £30 + a day to practice on trout waters, buy a cheapo evening ticket on your local carp puddle (or even better than a puddle) and stick a floating beetle fly imitation on the end. Damn good fun practising casting to real and visible fish, - you'll find that the excitement buggers up your oh so well practised and newly acquired rythm at first ! - and even better fun if you get a take. Carp on a fly rod.... such fun, big smile time.