Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ian Cloke Guest

<!--google_ad_section_start--> <!-- Article Start --> ANGLERS yesterday condemned the escape of about 4,000 fish from a trout farm in Argyll.
    The rainbow trout, worth £15,000, escaped from the Scot Trout farm at Ardchattan on Loch Etive in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Wild fish groups said it is the latest in a long sequence of releases of farmed fish affecting the important River Awe system.

Roger Brook, chairman of the Argyll District Salmon Fishery Board, said: "We are bitterly disappointed but hardly surprised to have yet another major escape from a rainbow trout farm located adjacent to the mouth of the River Awe, Argyll's most important salmon river."

Stuart Cannon, of Scot Trout, the UK's leading trout processor, said the escape was due to mechanical failure during a storm with winds of about 90mph and the firm had plans to invest £150,000-£200,000 this year on new, more secure plastic cages.

Had a conversation with a fishfarm worker who told me when the farmed stock was unsold and becominga liability,he was instructed to release them!! Proprietors had no market for them after a certain period and would not bear the extra costs.

I hope it was untrue, wild Seatrout and Salmon are in enough trouble as it is. If only they had fur or feathers on, I would be trampled underfoot by the rush of "dogooders".

Peter; It was Loch Awe, and it was a seal that tore the nets away to get to the fish, and in the end up the seal won, and it was approximate 20,000 salmon, and no trout.

I remember that one Jimmy, and had some bemused farmed salmon in the Clyde and its feeders. But this guy was saying the rainbows were now too big for supermarket size, unsellable, so were just released. He was off very early to do the deed. I have no way of confirming his story.

Peter; I,ve never heard of that on mate (very strange)

Also its good to know that you are in Bonnie Scotland.

Will I be able to cast a whole salmon deadbait, Jimmy? Or is it best to trim it, ala Mick Brown?

No problem today with the wind behind, just make sure I dont go in after it.

Only kidding. I wish these ecapees were a laughing matter !

Peter; Why dont you put your email on this site;(message member) mate, NO one can get it, and then we can talk to each other.

I thought it was there already, will go and check.

[img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

I am now a geek.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast