Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it worth buying one ?

I fish a couple of stillwaters. One is a big reservoir, although it's deep, the fishable areas tend to be the shallows down to about 10 ft or so. The other is a group of small lakes (or rather ponds) with a max depth of 7 or 8 ft.

I've already got a floating fly line and a medium sinker.

Has an intermediate fly line got any advantages over my existing lines ? And should I buy an opaque type or the translucent type?

The Welsh Windbag Guest

Not a great deal. Your leader is long enough to fish all layers from the top down to the bottom.

Only benefit I can see for an inter is on a dead still calm day and / or with blinding sun to fish the line slightly sub-surface so as to avoid any wake.

To be honest I've got an inter for every rod and when I think about it I've never used any one of them.....

Floating, sink and fast sink and you're basically covered. Sink tips occasionally useful but not that much, and inters..... see above.

I would get the Airflow leaders to fish of your floating line. They come in all weights at five feet long they will give the same advantage if needed.

Colin North, the one and only Guest

There are times when an intermediate can be of considerable advantage, and it is another string to your bow.

There are days when you have a strong side wind that blows floating lines along the surface and sometimes away from the area that you want to fish. An intermediate line cast out and then given a sharp tug back will pull the flyline just below the surface, thus enabling you to fish the fly back at whatever pace you choose.

I have seen an intermediate line outfish a floater on many occassions.

Thanks for your views. I've already got a couple of air flow leaders in slow sink and medium sink densities. I was using one when fishing the Wharfe yesterday. Their disadvantage is that they spoil the unrolling of the fly line on the forward cast and so casting isn't as fluid.

The Welsh Windbag Guest

Interesting thought Colin, I've never really been a fan of fishing any style in high winds, or at all for that matter, so that particular benefit of an inter had passed me by.

Will remember it just in case I ever get caught out having paid for an unfeasibly expensive day ticket only to find that the wind gets up a gale two seconds after having handed over the cash [img]/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif[/img].

The Welsh Windbag Guest

Mind you, those two uses and weather conditions when inters are useful - dead flat blinding calm and high winds - are pretty rare and the proverbial exception that proves the whatsit. Definitely one of the lower priority things to buy for the amount of use they are.

Colin North, the one and only Guest

Intermediate lines do have other advantages. At this time of the year, fish are often not feeding on the bottom nor top of the water, but somewhere in between. With the intermediate line you can explore all depths from just sub surface to the bottom of the water, by just allowing longer for the line to sink before retrieving. There is a stark contrast between the alternative floater or sinker.

Yup, thay are handy at times, I bought one that was a 'clear' line and there has been a number of occasions where its outfished floater or slow sinker, in dead calm conditions or in a cross wind when fish are high in the water. Seems particularly good when fish are 'sipping' at the evening hatch in the surface film.

Used one twice this week when folk around the reservoir were lure stripping or fishing boobiesand blanking, I was fishing a couple of buzzers dead slow and was into fish consistently[img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast