Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ID Please

I caught this fish while grayling fishing at the end of Feb. From a midland river that definitely has a run of salmon and sea trout.

It looks nothing like any other brownie I've had from the river. They are all dark fish with yellow bellies and big red spots with white rings. This one as you can see is a very different colour. As soon as I saw it I noticed it looked different. So is it or isn't it? (A sea trout, that is) And is the a definitive way to identify a sea trout from a brownie?

my understanding is that sea trout are basically brown trout that have gone to sea (adapted to the migratory variety), trout produce many different genetic phenotypes,
    Ageing rock guitar hero

Thanks Monk - but I already knew that - what I don't know is what I caught is a common-or-garden brown trout or a brown trout that has been to sea and is therefore a sea trout. I was kinda hoping someone might be able to make an educated identification from my photo.

I reckon it's a seatrout, they can varyin colouration quite a lot especially if they've been in the river for a while. Here's a goodcomparison from the same swim on the same day from the Itchen:

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Very good comparison shots Neil but I'm not so sure.

I've seen [and caught] some very silver brownies that I'd have loved to have been sea trout but somehow I just knew they weren't.Colours no reliable guide as your shots show and that can vary enormously 1] anyway and 2] depending on the time of year.

In my own experience I've never had any doubt aboutthe sea trout I've caught.You just know in much the same way as you can tell a true roach.

Skippy

If it helps, every other trout I've ever caught from the river has been coloured like this one:

I would say sea trout. They tend to look a little leaner with larger fins than the resident trout. Must say that one as some lovely colours.

YES IT LOOKS LIKE A SEA TROUT AND BROWN ARE MUCH DARKER NICE FISH ME NEVER CAUGHT ONE BUT A FRIEND HAD ONE IN SHETLAND LAST YEAR A THEY FIGHT HARD....

Phil turn your caps of.

Capitals in forums indicate shooting.

And welcome to FM

Shooting!!! Also shouting [img]/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif[/img]

Don't know if you can tell from the picture but it seemed very empty bellied. Looked like it was spawned out so it had accomplished its mission after its long journey.

Both me and my fishing partner felt it was a sea trout mainly because it looks so completely different to all the other brownies we've had from there but neither of us are experts (I've only ever seen sea trout on telly before)so I thought I would try and seek the opinions of those with more knowledge than us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast