Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thames Trout

I’ve had the occasional bash, but this year I will get my ‘Lock & Weir Permit’ and buckle down to the challenge of catching a Thames Trout.
    My question is ‘Are there any others attempting this madness, or am I alone?’ Is anyone brave enough to admit they are doing it, and even better, prepared to share experiences? Does anyone know for sure that these creatures exist?
    Any advice would be more than welcome.
    Still not sure what's going on

Mark Frame Guest

how much is the ticket could be interested for the barbs aswell

Mark
    Lock & Weir Permit this year is 22.15. Ring our good friends the EA on 0118 9535650
    and ask them to send you an application - they are limited!

Mark Frame Guest

cheers for that

Chris Bishop Guest

Places I'd try are where the Coln comes in upstream of Lechlade - you see them around there sometimes or the Weir by the Trout Inn, which has produced trout to around the 10lbs mark, albeit none for several decades.

Better be quick though - the Coln mouth is going to change dramatically when they rebuild the lock up there for the Thames/Severn canal which is being restored.

Years ago there were people fishing for them, usually using live minnows or spinning dead bleak.

Gerry Castles Guest

I suppose it's fair to say that there's a sprinkling of trout up and down the river,however they are few and far between and it's a patient man who sets his stall out for trout in the Thames. You ddn't say how you intended to tackle them, fly, lure or bait. These days you will have to be careful particularly if you intend fishing during the river close season and also if you are using bait or lures, since you are more likely to catch a range of other coarse species. I appreciate that you are intending to catch trout, other people may not. I would be inclined to telephone the Fisheries Department of the EA at Reading and talk about what you intend to do, they may have some helpful advice. I know it's been almost a traditon that anglers knock the EA but I have recently found them exceptionally helpful on a number of occasions.

Gerry
    Checked with our friends at the EA. They confirm that so long as you are using artificial fly, spinner, spoon, or minnows trapped from the water you are fishing (not caught with a rod and line!) you can fish so trout from April 1st on the Thames.

Gerry Castles Guest

At some point you'll be glad you did that Kevin, it's always a moot point whether you are right or wrong, particularly if some jobsworth comes along and accuses you of ignoring the close season. At least you've had it from the horses mouth.

Gerry
    The great thing about the 'Lock and Weir' permit is that you usually have to get the key from the Lock Keeper before you can start fishing. They are usually pretty well conversant with the rules and regs - so there isn't normally a problem. The only thing is they can't normall give you any tips or advice because they never see anyone fishing for trout!
    For the record I have caught trout fron the Thames - below Romney Lock. I did spent several weeks on Marlow Weir a few years ago, had several takes, two perch, but no trout. same at Hurley Weir - few takes but no fish at all. Never saw another angler. The coming couple of seasons will tell if this is an untapped goldmine or a complete waste of time. I hope that the lack of interest in trout has led to them quietly prospering, with the rivers getting cleaner this should be the case. If nothing else - it gives me something to do in the close season!!!!!!

hurly and marlow weir are meant to be the best places for trout on the thames! i dont really fish for trout but my dad and i will give marlow ago in the summer as he has a boat up there!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast