Fishing buzzers on a sight

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fishing buzzer's or nymph's under a dry fly or buoyant sight is more than likely the most efficient way of catching trout and grayling especially when they are not having it and are just touching the fly. This method of fishing is frowned upon in some camps in the Uk but is one of the top methods used in the states I think it is a great way of catching fish myself and have used it for over 20years. What do you think of this method.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ah yes. "The Bung" in British stillwater trout fishing; strike-indicator fishing on rivers in the States and here.

Mixed feelings about it. I have used the method since the late 1980s, when it was introduced to me by some extraordinary Austrian river fishers, "pioneered" it in far-off South America with nymph for sea-trout (at a time when everybody else was still hurling and stripping black Woolly B*gger streamers), taking fish of well into the 20s of pounds, used it (with styrene / cork / foam / yarn indicators) with great success for trout and grayling all over the shop including here, but............

People become "hooked" on the method, end up being one-trick pony floatfishermen totally incapable of fishing the nymph both upstream and downstream and detecting takes from fish without the aid of an indicator, cease to be functioning flyfishers.

I seldom use the method now.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The efficiency of the method does make catching fish that much easier I must admit and a angler will miss out if they get hooked on it . Anglers have to discipline them selves to fish as many methods as they can and not get hooked on one whether it be upstream dry fly or stripping a lure To be a consistent angler on all waters in the many situations that present them selves should be the anglers goal.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I use it a lot but not exclusively. There is no doubt in my mind that on certain days and/or conditions it is the only way to go [and on others absolutely not the way] and I am equally certain that it has helped me catch a shedload more fish. I would be a fool to ignore it...it works and it revolutionised my reservoir fishing.

The so called morality issue concerns me not one whit. Its legal & people who use it as their "go to" method are no different than the obsessive booby ledgering brigade or those that frown on anything other than the upstream nymph or dray flay.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Quite. I moved on to the Dynamite Method years ago. Huge bags. And I feel so superior.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use it a lot but not exclusively. There is no doubt in my mind that on certain days and/or conditions it is the only way to go [and on others absolutely not the way] and I am equally certain that it has helped me catch a shedload more fish. I would be a fool to ignore it...it works and it revolutionised my reservoir fishing.

The so called morality issue concerns me not one whit. Its legal & people who use it as their "go to" method are no different than the obsessive booby ledgering brigade or those that frown on anything other than the upstream nymph or dray flay.

I always think that you should do what your brain tells you is needed. To me all fishing is a puzzle and angling is all about solving that puzzle on the day you use a particular method when and where it is the best way to catch it is that simple every method has its place . The sight method presents the fly at a given depth were the fish are feeding and when the fish are finicky you will see touches on the sight or supporting dry that you would never see on the line or feel it . Angling is about solving the puzzle and this method can certainly do that as you have said. A handy tip for those that have not tried it is to balance the weight of the fly to the sight. Ideally the sight should just support the buzzer or nymph If you use a large buoyant sight you may not see the tiny indications that you get on a hard day.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I saw this - Tuesday Tip: Dead-Drifting Streamers for Big Trout | Orvis News - last week, taking in the video and thinking "Nice float. I must make some.".

I have done some driftboat fishing on the big trout rivers myself, with streamers, dries and nymphs, and had some embarrassingly large catches of trout - but you don't need a float.

Strike indicators have their place, of course; they're just something that you use occasionally and that a bunch of Flyboys shouldn't their breathable Simms chesties all in a twist about.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
bunch of Flyboys shouldn't their breathable Simms chesties all in a twist about.

Ha ha ha....I once came across three of said Flyboys so attired at Farmoor 2. Quite what they were thinking defeats me. Step into the water there and you will not stop until you reach the bottom no matter what you are wearing.

If it was to impress people then they clearly had not come across the old Oxford Boys that frequent Farmoor before. Some would really not be out of place in a Louisiana swamp. I can barely understand some of them.