The rise and rise of Pike on the fly

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Is it as popular as we are led to believe?

I certainly do quite a bit and have done for several years.

Whether or not it's "pure" fly fishing, does anyone else use the method?

Colin

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have caught a few pike in the fly, mainly from the Warwickshire Avon. Noneof them have been big, best about6 lbs.

It's not "pure" fly fishing of course as the fly doesn't really imitate or suggest an insect, but its one way of imitating small fish. The best patterns I have found have been Dahlberg Divers.

keora

Reaction score
If God had meant us to fly fish for pike he wouldn't have invented spinners.

For the waters I fish - spate rivers, steep banks, lots of willows,fairly deep, casting a big fly would be a pain. So I've never tried it.

Some pike fly fishers seem to be self righteous about the technique, as if it's superior to others.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

It's certainly not superior in terms of skill required than fishing lures for pike with a baitcasting outfit. It only works well when you have some space behind you for the cast.

Personally I prefer the baitcasting outfit.

blankety blank

Reaction score
I do a little, mostly from a boat on the Norfolk broads. A little on the fens too, but as has been said above, you need to have the space behind you to cast.

To be honest my casting technique isn't really up to it, and I do not spend enough time with the fly in the water. It is a satisfying way to fish though, and even the smallest pike will give a good account of itself on a flyrod.

keora

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know how effective fly fishing for pike is.

Do you catch more fish in a session than with conventional lures?

I know that I prefer to fish for trout with fly rather than bait, becuase it's a nice way of fishing, especially when you get the hang of fly casting - it only took me twenty years. Yet I acknowledge that probably I could catch more trout on worms !

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

.......or maggots but who wants to?

My feeling is that fly fishing will catch lots of pike, but only in places where you can get an adequate back cast or you can fish from a boat.

Casting the huge wind resistance flies is certainly not very pleasureable nor artistic

Colin Brett

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Casting the huge wind resistance flies is certainly not very pleasureable nor artistic</blockquote>No need to use those huge wind resistant flies, smaller catch just as well!