New salmon season on the DEE

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Sir Ian Botham opened the Salmon season with the first cast on the Dee in Scotland last week. This year extra patrols are being undertaken to try and tackle the growing poaching problem. Officers will also be checking local restaurants to see where they source their fish.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most beats on the Dee are now catch and release so the tweedy set are becoming no better than their coarse brethren (at considerably more cost)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Most beats on the Dee are now catch and release so the tweedy set are becoming no better than their coarse brethren (at considerably more cost)

I do not think salmon anglers are any better than other anglers . In deed I know many coarse anglers who are far better fishermen than most salmon anglers. One of the ghillies I knew reckoned if he got half a dozen of the roach anglers he watched on the Tweed for a day or two they would out fish most of the salmon anglers he had to deal with.

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do not think salmon anglers are any better than other anglers . In deed I know many coarse anglers who are far better fishermen than most salmon anglers. One of the ghillies I knew reckoned if he got half a dozen of the roach anglers he watched on the Tweed for a day or two they would out fish most of the salmon anglers he had to deal with.

I would take issue with that statement where Speycasting a 15ft double-handed rod is concerned.

Spinning, quite possibly but Speycasting takes a bit more dedication, practice, timing and skill.

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would take issue with that statement where Speycasting a 15ft double-handed rod is concerned.

Spinning, quite possibly but Speycasting takes a bit more dedication, practice, timing and skill.

Casting can be learnt with the help of a good teacher the art of catching fish is the same no matter what the discipline Fishing the fly is no more skilful than trotting a float both have the same effect if the presentation is wrong. I will give that you need more patience to catch salmon in general what ever the method but no more skill fishing is fishing. being good at any form of casting does not guarantee where as reading water does if the fish are there and with salmon in particular even when you know they are there just gives you hope.

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Casting can be learnt with the help of a good teacher the art of catching fish is the same no matter what the discipline Fishing the fly is no more skilful than trotting a float both have the same effect if the presentation is wrong. I will give that you need more patience to catch salmon in general what ever the method but no more skill fishing is fishing. being good at any form of casting does not guarantee where as reading water does if the fish are there and with salmon in particular even when you know they are there just gives you hope.

As someone who's just had his first season spey casting and mixing with the salmon set, I totally agree. Around here a salmon angler is exactly the same as barbel or pike angler - no class distinctions that I can tell. Shot my lifelong preconceptions in the foot I can tell you.
I'm now able to spey cast downstream from the left bank but have yet to get the practice casting from the opposite bank - it's very diferent from 'normal' fly fishing:(

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As someone who's just had his first season spey casting and mixing with the salmon set, I totally agree. Around here a salmon angler is exactly the same as barbel or pike angler - no class distinctions that I can tell. Shot my lifelong preconceptions in the foot I can tell you.
I'm now able to spey cast downstream from the left bank but have yet to get the practice casting from the opposite bank - it's very diferent from 'normal' fly fishing:(

Another string to your angling bow every one to be enjoyed.

soft plastic

Reaction score

Take it you are right handed? Casting on the opposite bank "left hand up" may not be as hard as you think. Assuming we are talking single Spey and upstream winds? If you can I would try and learn other casts as well as the double Spey for downstream winds. Snake roll type casts are good as they don't disturb the water as much as a double Spey. Good luck and enjoy your casting/fishing. I used to love fly fishing for salmon but have not been for a few years now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jacksharp

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

For those who experience difficulty with timing the Single Spey from the left bank then the Snap T cast is worth learning. For a downstream wind I find using the "left hand up" cast difficult so I just "exaggerate" the upstream sweep on the Single Spey which places the "anchor" further upstream, above me. It's not elegant but it works.

If experiencing difficulties with the Double Spey from the right bank then the Snake Roll is an easier cast to get right.

As regards watercraft when salmon fishing, I let the ghillie do it for me! :D
They are either in the lies, running or not there. The third option is the most common one!