Spinning for Trout

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Does anyone regularly fish the spinner for Trout. If so can you tell me the ideal lure size and hook sizes.

I will be spinning on the River Dearne in Barnsley. Its a narrow river with some great spots with features and weirs. I haven't spoke to anyone who fishes this stretch regular so I don't even know if theresa good supply ofTrout, I should think so.???

Chris Bettis

Reaction score
Three lures do all. Mepps, ABU Droppen and common mackerel spinners will all catch trout on a small stream . Colour - silver, silver and blue.

A red worm added to the hook works wonders!

Reaction score
I replace the trebles on my spinners with single hooks using a small split ring, this is much friendlier onundersize trout that you wish to return. They do hammer into baits. If you want some fun try a fly cast upstream with a couple of SSG shot up the line for casting weight. And try some quill minnows if you can find them. The action on these is fantastic, and Seatrout go daft for them.

Have fun, I am glad your river is not trying to star in a disaster flood movie.

keora

Reaction score
I would use small perch spinners up to about 10gms (third of an ounce in weight).

Flatten the barbs on the trebles or saw off one or two of the individual hooks on the treble with a fine hacksaw.

There's only three weeks left before the trout season ends in Yorks.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>peter murray 3 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I am glad your river is not trying to star in a disaster flood movie.</blockquote>

Looking at today, we may have the film crew in to start filming.

What size hook do you replace the treble with? I have mepps spinners for the RainbowTrout and Perch, do I cast these upstream and retrieve slowly?

Thanks for the tips, I will replace all my fish so going from treble to single hooks sounds more sensible.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Keith2 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

There's only three weeks left before the trout season ends in Yorks.</blockquote>

Will this mean I cannot spin on the rivers at all, not even for perch?

With the look of it mother nature ain't going to allow much river fishing over the next couple of weeks.

CAT

Reaction score
/members/images/21172/Gallery/Big_Brownie.jpg

I have just come back from Alnwick in Northumberland and had this beauty from the river Aln on a no2 Meps spinner, i could tell it was once a stocked fish from the top fin but the locals told me they only stock 1lb fish and estimated that this fish was at least 4-5 years old and a prize catch on such a small river, the mouth on the fish was immense.

Spinning for Trout feels like cheating but fish like these take some beating!

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Thats what i'm talking about.

All the time taken choosing a spot and cast after cast, it's always worth it in the end. Well done mate, a beautiful fish with gorgeous spots. And like you say thats a big mouth.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Chris Bettis wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Three lures do all. Mepps, ABU Droppen and common mackerel spinners will all catch trout on a small stream . Colour - silver, silver and blue.</blockquote>
I agree Chris, three great lures, but I would always take along a Vibrax as well

Reaction score
Sawing off or clipping off some of the hooksmust bequicker Nick, and easier than wrestling small split rings too, but I use the same size single or one size larger on mine. And fish upstream and down, but most fish are facing away from you when you work upstream, so you can get closer to your fish.

Sometimes a red and gold makes a good change colour for Trout, and my Perch have a go at most colours. And a squirt of WD40 attracts Trout and Perch (use it on maggots too) it is a fish based oil.

Our Scottish Brown Trout season ends in October too, but the close season for coarse fish is a bit chaotic down south. The locals will soon tell you.

If you see an old book byFMs own Barrie Rickards and Ken Whitehead "Spinners, Spoons and Wobbled Baits" from 1977, grab it, you will find it fascinating. Have seen them on Ebay for little cash (sorryProf R) and there are some little home made spoon flies, etc you will be itching to have a go with.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying rubber worms/ jigs etc, when the river is too high for the fly. anyone tried them?

keora

Reaction score
Yes you can continue spinning for perch and pike in a river when the close season for brown trout starts (1st Oct here in Yorks).

However, if the water you fish contains mainly brown trout, you'll keep catching them. And taking (which includes catch and release)brown trout in the close season is illegal.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Thanks for that Peter, i'll have a look for the book.

Keith, I don't think theres many brownies in, mostly rainbows. I'll not be taking any out anyway, i'm only in it for the sport, and a photo will be most sufficient.

I've just aquired some Panther Martin lures. I have some mepps spinners and also some rubber frogs and small rubber rainbows, what will these catch?

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nick Lynch wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I've just aquired some Panther Martin lures. I have some mepps spinners and also some rubber frogs and small rubber rainbows, what will these catch?</blockquote>

Also forgot to ask. I am currently using 12lb mono line, is this strong enough for a surprise pike? And I've read a lot about braided line, I used to use 15lb suffix braid for hook length whilstcarp fishing, I don't suppose this is the same as braided main line.

Really I'm looking for information on the set up for spinning on a river with the possibility of it holding Pike, but targeting Trout. From the mainline to the lure.

Thanks again

Lynchy

keora

Reaction score
!2lb mono is strong enough for most pike, although when I last looked at the pacgb site it recommended a minimum bs of 15lb for mono.

Braided line is good for lure fishing. I use 30lb powerpro for pike fishing in a large river. The strength of the line means that snagged treble hooks may often open up under pressure, so you get the hook back.

If you say there are mainlytrout in the water, but with a slight chance of pike, I'd suggest:

Light spinning rod

smallish fixed spool reel

mono lineof 8 or 10lbs strength

link swivel

short wire trace of about 15lb for any pike you hook

smallish spinners and spoons up to about 15gms (half an ounce)

If you start catching a lot of pikethen I would switch to a stronger rod, heavier line and trace, bigger lures.

Nick Lynch

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help, I can't wait to get started now! Lets hope the weather gets better.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Lovely fish Cat.

They have, by mistake put 300 browns between 1 1/2lb and 3 1/2 lb into Thrybergh Ressie during the past 2 weeks. These things are going to grow out make no mistake and the res is open in November. and the place is full of perch and roach fry.

Big brownies here we come.

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

CAT

Reaction score
Sounds good Ron thanks for the Info i will make one i November for the fry bashers, keep me up dated on how its fishing please.

I am going up to the South Esk on Sunday for a week Salmon fishing its a spate river as you know so get the rain stick out for me! lol

I have never caught a Salmon but i am rearing to go i can tell you mate.

Thought you would like the Brownie, speak soon Ron.