Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone regularly fish the spinner for Trout. If so can you tell me the ideal lure size and hook sizes.

I will be spinning on the River Dearne in Barnsley. Its a narrow river with some great spots with features and weirs. I haven't spoke to anyone who fishes this stretch regular so I don't even know if theresa good supply ofTrout, I should think so.???

Three lures do all. Mepps, ABU Droppen and common mackerel spinners will all catch trout on a small stream . Colour - silver, silver and blue.

A red worm added to the hook works wonders!

I replace the trebles on my spinners with single hooks using a small split ring, this is much friendlier onundersize trout that you wish to return. They do hammer into baits. If you want some fun try a fly cast upstream with a couple of SSG shot up the line for casting weight. And try some quill minnows if you can find them. The action on these is fantastic, and Seatrout go daft for them.

Have fun, I am glad your river is not trying to star in a disaster flood movie.

I would use small perch spinners up to about 10gms (third of an ounce in weight).

Flatten the barbs on the trebles or saw off one or two of the individual hooks on the treble with a fine hacksaw.

There's only three weeks left before the trout season ends in Yorks.

<blockquote class=quoteheader>peter murray 3 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I am glad your river is not trying to star in a disaster flood movie.</blockquote>

Looking at today, we may have the film crew in to start filming.

What size hook do you replace the treble with? I have mepps spinners for the RainbowTrout and Perch, do I cast these upstream and retrieve slowly?

Thanks for the tips, I will replace all my fish so going from treble to single hooks sounds more sensible.

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Keith2 wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

There's only three weeks left before the trout season ends in Yorks.</blockquote>

Will this mean I cannot spin on the rivers at all, not even for perch?

With the look of it mother nature ain't going to allow much river fishing over the next couple of weeks.

[img]/members/images/21172/Gallery/Big_Brownie.jpg[/img]

I have just come back from Alnwick in Northumberland and had this beauty from the river Aln on a no2 Meps spinner, i could tell it was once a stocked fish from the top fin but the locals told me they only stock 1lb fish and estimated that this fish was at least 4-5 years old and a prize catch on such a small river, the mouth on the fish was immense.

Spinning for Trout feels like cheating but fish like these take some beating!
    Team C.I.D

Thats what i'm talking about.

All the time taken choosing a spot and cast after cast, it's always worth it in the end. Well done mate, a beautiful fish with gorgeous spots. And like you say thats a big mouth.

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Chris Bettis wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Three lures do all. Mepps, ABU Droppen and common mackerel spinners will all catch trout on a small stream . Colour - silver, silver and blue.</blockquote>
    I agree Chris, three great lures, but I would always take along a Vibrax as well
    Still not sure what's going on

Sawing off or clipping off some of the hooksmust bequicker Nick, and easier than wrestling small split rings too, but I use the same size single or one size larger on mine. And fish upstream and down, but most fish are facing away from you when you work upstream, so you can get closer to your fish.

Sometimes a red and gold makes a good change colour for Trout, and my Perch have a go at most colours. And a squirt of WD40 attracts Trout and Perch (use it on maggots too) it is a fish based oil.

Our Scottish Brown Trout season ends in October too, but the close season for coarse fish is a bit chaotic down south. The locals will soon tell you.

If you see an old book byFMs own Barrie Rickards and Ken Whitehead &quot;Spinners, Spoons and Wobbled Baits&quot; from 1977, grab it, you will find it fascinating. Have seen them on Ebay for little cash (sorryProf R) and there are some little home made spoon flies, etc you will be itching to have a go with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast