The colour of floating fly lines

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I knew you'd say that Shrek/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Adrian you are a cheeky bu**er. Poor old Graham.

Just got back from Thrybergh. Cath is back,I wondered where she had disappeared to, but it transpired that she had recently got married and had been somewhere sunny for the honeymoon.

Strange she should look so pale!

Copped 4 fish, two of them into the deep freeze.

Including a bluey that went like hell,

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It doesn't worry me Ron, I've been insulted by people with high IQ's as well and I got over that OK
smile_smiley.gif

I'm taking the cheeky bugger fishing in October as well.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

By the way don't get me wrong. The Sharkskin is an excellent line, the only reason I down rate it is because of the price. Let's face it it is nearly double the price of other first rate lines, but you don't get double the value.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I think you can say that about most things Ron - rods, cars, cameras, etc. But their worth is what it means to you, and that's what most people don't understand, or don't want to understand.

I hesitated for quite some time (for me/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif) before I parted with the £60 I paid for one of my Sharkskins, but I've never regretted it as I feel it has made my casting so much easier and the line lies very straight.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I suppose what reflects my enthusiasm for them more than anything is that I had the first one given to me, and I bought another one (a different weight) because I liked it so much.

S

Shrek

I might try and get this line dyed by the time we go fishing next month Graham, just to see if it does make any difference.

As for me bring cheeky, would you expect anything else................????

I'll also bring along some of my "killer fry pattern" too. Might let you have one or two if you're lucky.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Stripee! So thats what the thing is called that I got free with a Snowbee fly line. Piece of elastic material made into a tube. I thought it went on the finger. Used to have to put plasters on in my early days, especially when fishing from banking with grit etc that got on the line. Caused many a cut finger.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Regarding the old logic of bright line appearing dark against the sky from a fish-eye perspective, this only applies when the line is within the fish's circular window of sight outside the water. You must bare in mind that not the entirety of your floating line floats, some will of course be sitting in the water (something like 1/3 - 2/3rds of the radius of your line), also the dry fly will make a messy depression on the water surface (-much the same way fish are alerted to a floating leader) if not also breaking partially through.

So regardless of whether or not your line and your fly lies with the fish's window it will still indeed be visible to the fish, this has been backed up by my own experience many times by casting to the side of fish that are very close to the surface and certainly would not be able to see my fly through its window, yet the fish still approaches and rises (or gives you the equivalent of two fingers and turns its tail!).

Now consider what a bright, flourescent green flyline looks like against the water surface where the outside world cannot be seen. What occurs here is simply total internal reflection (all the light from the underwater is reflected back underwater) this means all the fish are able to see is a reflection of the lakebed and so the surface of the water will be not much brighter than this.

Obviously the portion of your flyline that is sunk will be visible to fish that will also be able to have see the depression on the water surface left by your fly, many of these fish will probably not notice this tiny depression, but for certain there will be a select few that would notice the appertising insect and would attack it. However many of these fish will also notice the huge line of flourescent green or yellow or orange pointing straight towards the nice morsel of food, and will ignore it like any self respecting trout should.

This means using a dark floating line will on some days offer a slight advantage to the usual neon-dayglow-circus floating lines we usually use, it definitely does not mean that using such flamboyant lines will stop you catching fish.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
"This means using a dark floating line will on some days offer a slight advantage to the usual neon-dayglow-circus floating lines we usually use, it definitely does not mean that using such flamboyant lines will stop you catching fish."

That's my experience too. I've buggered up one of my Sharkskin lines and rather than shell out another £60 - £70 I boughtmy favouriteSnowbee XS, only this time, on the recommendation of a semi-pro fly angler, I bought the Hi-Viz one. The recommendation was that the Hi-Viz gives you a few extra yards on the cast as the coating is slicker than it is on the usual ivory coloured Snowbee fly line.

But talk about bright! Hi-Viz is spot on, you can see it a mile away on a dark night. But my catch rate hasn't dropped noticeably at all.

And going back to a smooth line after the harsh experience of the Sharkskin over the fingers, and the lack of noise through the rings after the Sharkskin, is sheer bliss!

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Having reread my previous post id just like to summarise: low visibility lines will only (i believe) make a difference to your catch rate if many of the fish are likely to see your line/leader/fly at a large angle compared to the water surface (so the tackle isnt inside the fish's window, and therefore isnt set against the sky). This means if the fish are patrolling the topmost part of your water or if you are fishing a shallow water then more camouflaged lines are a good choice to make.

But as you say Graham the ultra bright Hi-Viz lines dont reduce catch rates perceptibly so like with most tackle its a matter of personal choice at the end of the day! I definitely believe Ive caught fish I otherwise wouldnt have using darker lines though, you never can tell I guess /forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Cant say ive come across Sharkskin before, doesnt it shorten your casting range by miles because of the roughness?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
No, the technology is thatthe embossed surface of the line gives ita unique sharkskin-like texture. This reduces the amount of contact from fly line to rod guides, resulting in less drag and a increased shootability.

It's a very 'noisy' line though and if you're not careful or don't wear some protection, a fit rainbow running off at speed over the fingers can draw blood as the line slices into your finger.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have been looking hard at lines that are called "Midge Tips".They have a metre or so of slow sinking clear or "slime" line spliced in. I like that concept as often the way I fish causes the first few feet of the floating line to sink.

I decided to purchase one for the new season. The two avaiable were theRio and the Jim Teeny. TheRioprice was very high at over £47.00 and so was the Teeny.

I phoned my friend Peter Cockwill at Albury Fishing Tackle and he sold me a Jim Teeny line for far less than the advertised prices at other outlets.

Peter is also a superb angler and is worth dealing with if you are looking for the odd fishing tip.