This reel is sensational

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I had sent me a Large Arbour fly reel today which I have just inspected. When I opened the box I thought that they had sent me the wrong reel, it looked like a Lamson or an Abel.

But it was the Vision.

What a superb bit of engineering for a very small layout. I will be doing an in depth review of these reels shortly, but quite frankly first impressions are very favourable, very favourable indeed.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ron, its a cheap plastic one, may as well use a cotton reel, bout £40,

Lamson or Abel its not!.

S

Shrek

I have the salmon version and have had to have the drag repaired already, even though it's still a virgin reel.

Also, don't drop it otherwise you'll bend the rim and it won't work properly. It's not plastic but cast alloy so very brittle.

Other than that, they're OK.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

If it was cast and brittle, I would expect it to break the rim cleanly, not bend it.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Spiders,

You haven't even seen this reel.

And fot the money, less that sixty quid with a spare spool, it is brilliant!

Morespiders

Reaction score
My Dear Ron, if you like it, thats all that matters, Vision make good reels, I have a XLA.

Anyway havent you got enough reels, seems a shame to put a cheap reel on your Sage,

Cheepskate!!!/forum/smilies/nerd_smiley.gif

PS. Dont come back on here and tell me it's only for winding your flyline on or I will be round your place to brain you.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I acquired the reel, I didn't buy it!

I'm certainly not a cheapskate as I acquired my Sage.

But if there is two things I do not skimp on in flyfishing it is my rod and the line which matches it. The reel however must be light weight and these days have a large arbour. I have had a goodly collection of reels but since my son needs a couple in Oz, I have run low.

The reel also should be light and have a decent one way disc drag. I do like to play a decent sized trout off the drag.

Morespiders

Reaction score
Cannot say ive seen the latest Koma ,they did one a while back loked ok, is it the same one?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Even if I told you you wouldn't understand Matthew!

Reaction score
Well at least this heathern has the intellegence to use well engineered shimano reels rather than the faulty mitchel 300 with its kackhanded rotation and dodgy(non existant in some cases) line roller.

There's no wonder you have to fish with only 1/2oz of lead, your reels couldn't crank any more in on a flowing river. "Finesse" my arse!

Morespiders

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>PoshPaul (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Not to keen on komas ..generally too creamy, not enough spice

Corker, Line kink with the 300s is non existent, only a problem with Shimano's, something to do with the earths rotation , whereas Shimanos are not in tune with the earths axis, or rotation , hence, their erratic wobble and line kinking abilities

Mr Posh, dont you start, you can sit in the back of the car on friday </blockquote>

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Today was the first time out.

I am very pleased with the reel, it's light in weight, runs like a dream and looks the part.

In a few weeks I will do a formal review of the reel. One bloke at the res took me a little by surprise and asked me if I can drop it on the concrete bowl at Tofties.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

After 6 days solid ressie fishing and after landing 41 trout, including blues to 3 lbs and browns to 2 1/2 lbs, I have to say that the reel is a cracker. I played one particular bluey on the reel, this fish took off with the whole fly line and 30 yards of backing at least.

When a powerful fish takes off, the reel purrs and the drag is infinitely adjustable and very very smooth. With some top class fly reels costing upwards of £150.00, these Visions are a bargin in anyones book.