"Nazi Guides"

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
- an expression used by a quirky but very likeable Welsh-Argentine guy I met in Patagonian trout country in 1993 who had found himself becoming a fishing guide in his forties almost by accident and was learning flyfishing as he went along (sometimes from me when we were sent by his employer who was a pal of mine on a trout-fishing waters scouting trip to the Esquel region). I hope that the guy has safely retired now and didn't kill any of his clients.

Etiquette for anglers: How to tip your fishing guide | Star Tribune

andygrey

Reaction score
- an expression used by a quirky but very likeable Welsh-Argentine guy I met in Patagonian trout country in 1993 who had found himself becoming a fishing guide in his forties almost by accident and was learning flyfishing as he went along (sometimes from me when we were sent by his employer who was a pal of mine on a trout-fishing waters scouting trip to the Esquel region). I hope that the guy has safely retired now and didn't kill any of his clients.

Etiquette for anglers: How to tip your fishing guide | Star Tribune

Ha! Scary stuff.
I've employed quite a few guides around the world and also work as one here in the UK.
They do vary and some have come close to being 'my way or the highway' but never to the extent of this guy.
I think the 'worst' guide I ever had was a bass guide on Lake St Claire in the States who very quickly set me up, left me to 'get on with it' and then proceeded to fish himself and haul out a load of fish accompanied by whoops and hollas!
The other side of the coin was a guy in Yellowstone who worked incredibly hard to get me into fish.