line memory

M

Mike Panzeri

I have a 9wt floating Airflow line that I bought a few months ago for piking. Last week I gave it an airing on a carp pond only to find that it has transformed into a spring. No matter how much stretching I gave it, the line kept coming back into neat coils at my feet.

Does anyone have any good tips for removing such a bad case of line memory?

G

Gerry Castles

It needs either a good stretch between trees or a bit of use, since it will progressively straighten out after a days fishing. The problem is usually made worse if it is wound tightly onto the spool.
Another wheeze is to clean it with a branded cleaning pad and solution, Sportfish, Airflo and Fishtec can all supply you with one. The friction caused by passing it through a pad softens it and removes most if not all of the coils. A quick trick is to damp a tea towel wrap it around the line tightly and pull the line through. I usually find a 10lb 'bow or a 15lb pike will do a fair job of straightening a coiled line.

Colin Brett

Reaction score
Mike,

I am not sure of the situation with Airflo fly lines now, but the floaters were a big problem a few years back. They came of the reel like a coiled spring. Any idea how long the line had been in stock at the shop. If the problem persists you should be able to claim a new one under the terms of the line's guarantee [unless they changed the guarantee]
Hope this helps,
Colin
Give the new Shakespeare Pike Fly line a try. Also check out www.pikeflyfishing.co.uk

M

Mike Panzeri

thanks for the tips - I gave it a damn good stretching last night with little joy. I'll try the tea towel trick and if that doesn't work, I'll see what the manufacturer's reaction is.

C

Colin Leatherbarrow

Mike,
You're not alone with the Airflo fly line 'spring' problem. I stopped selling them (I'm a tackle dealer) years ago because of all the complaints.
Recently, one of my pals bought a '7000' from a well known mail order discount store, only to find that this 'memory free' Airflo product was very much like a coiled snake, straight from the box. No amount of pulling and stretching would straighten this line for a decent presentation. He sent it back (2 weeks ago) and has heard nothing yet!!!. My advice is to get a Cortland fly line, a 444 Peach, tried, tested, caught everything that swims.

G

Gerry Castles

Strangely Colin, I spent most of last Tuesday trying to straighten a new Cortland 444 XLR shooting head,eventually switching back to a perfectly straight Airflo Bass Bug taper. I was a bit surprised since the peach 444 is a little bit special and a very well behaved line.

C

Colin Leatherbarrow

Gerry,
Thanks for your input on this fly line issue. I always recommend the 444 to guys who ask for a new fly line, after establishing that they want to pay a decent bit of money for a 'well behaved line'. If they (you guys) want to pay less for a decent brand fly line, then I recommend the Hardy Dry (ice blue floater) recently upgraded and actually made by Scientific Anglers (USA). There is now the new Cortland 555 Sunburst Floater just available, I got my stock this last week and will be trying the WF7F this weekend, yes I have had to buy one like everyone else. No freebies or samples for me, unfortunately!

R

Ross Turner

I find any of the aircel/wetcel lines are good with no coiling once you have done a few false casts,evan after being on my fly reels over winter(last used in october used again end of march).

Colin Brett

Reaction score
I gave up on expensive lines after my last Cortland 444 floater sank fairly quickly after a couple of months. I now only buy Anglian Water floating lines from AW tackle shops at ?13.99 or cheaper. The last one is now 2 years old and still floating, not coiling and still being straightened by rainbows on a regular basis although it's been 8 years since the last 11.5 pounder.
At cortland prices I can buy 3 AW lines and have some change.
I have a Di8 Airflo and that is a little bit curly, but as it sinks like brick I can put up with the curls.
Colin

M

Mike Panzeri

The Airflo line is on its way back to the said supplier - hopefully the fast intermediate replacement will do better.

As for a floating line - I'm back in the market. I'm inclined to go for a mill end (a good source would be better than my pot luck approach please!) since I've never had any trouble with them but before I do there's a couple of brands that have taken my eye. The Hardy line seems worth a look (thanks Colin). I've also seen a scientific anglers aircel for ?15. It's going to be primarily for pike and saltwater use but it'll need to be straight as a die for the occaisional time I fish for carp on the surface - does the aircell fit the bill? I know there are some great lines available around the ?40 to ?50 mark but I'm far to tight to pay that much! Especially if a ?15 line is almost as good.
Mike