An Angling Film That Needs To Be Made

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
(unlike many others that actually got made and shouldn't have been) - a film about the great flyfishing pioneer, Joe Brooks.

Joe Brooks (fly fisherman/writer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read his "Saltwater Water Fly Fishing" (1950) and "Complete Book of Fly Fishing" (1958) books for the first time thirty years after their publication and duly tied his "Brooks Blonde" bucktail streamers, a generic pattern that influenced many a flytyer and spawned countless still-current fly patterns after them.

Fortunate enough to have met one or two of the men who fished with and were much influenced by him (both had very nice things to say about Brooks) - Mel Krieger, the great fly casting instructor and ambassador for Angling, and Lefty himself.

Lefty who?

This Lefty - Interview: Lefty Kreh

Make the film, fellas - [ame=http://vimeo.com/106630560]A River of Change: The Joe Brooks Story - Trailer on Vimeo[/ame]

PS - Plus this man - Bebe Anchorena of Argentina - http://www.wild-rivers.com.ar/anchorena.html

Joe was invited by Bebe and his Argentine pals down to Patagonia to fish for the great browns and rainbows of the Boca (the mouth) of the Chimehuin River. He showed them how to fly fish for them, taking an 18.5-pound brown on a surface Popper fly. Bebe soon got the hang of this fly fishing lark and took a 24.5-pound fly-caught world record. Glory days.

Last edited:

hunters moon

Reaction score
:) JOE BROOKS was way ahead of his time as was LEE WULFF both from the
U.S.A. it was the joe brooks blonde fly that got me started fly fishing for pike
back in the late 60's.(truly pioneers of our sport).

....I have fished through fishless days that I remember happily without regret.
....Roderick haig-brown.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
:) JOE BROOKS was way ahead of his time as was LEE WULFF both from the
U.S.A. it was the joe brooks blonde fly that got me started fly fishing for pike
back in the late 60's.(truly pioneers of our sport).

....Roderick haig-brown.

Like your taste in quotes, HM.

A mate of mine at school had parents living in a fine Surrey "hice" named Hunter's Moon.

We were both serving 4-year sentences at this institution, you see - Charterhouse History | Charterhouse - which had been moved from Southwark to Surrey in 1872 by a certain William Haig Brown, the uncle of a boy who was to later serve time at the place then become one of the finest Angling writers of all time and one of Canada's and the World's first modern era conservationists, Roderick.

Small world.

PS - Amazing what we can find in an eyeblink of an online search nowadays. No, I'll spend my three million on something else....

http://search.savills.com/property-detail/gbfarsgus120224

Last edited:

hunters moon

Reaction score
:) A SMALL WORLD INDEED PAUL.

....Roderick haig-brown.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just checked out Haig-Brown and his schoolmaster "uncle" - it was his grandfather.

Roderick Haig-Brown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Two of his books had quite an influence on me - "A River Never Sleeps" (his masterpiece) and "Fisherman's Winter" (tales of the time when an airline invited him down to fish in Argentina and Chile in the early 1950s). In the 1990s and early 2000s I produced a couple of completed drafts of something along the same lines of the latter myself (the second being a total re-write of the first after things on the ground had very markedly changed in the many months over several years I spent down there), then realised that reasonably well-written attempts at proper Fish Lit were not wanted by the people now grabbing and flogging the region's fishing; these guys wanted short puffs by Names And Safe Sorts who had just spent a week at their new fishing lodge. Oh well. Things change. Time to move on.

Over to you, Lynyrd -

[ame=http://youtu.be/Jd4JTPw5VTU]LYNYRD SKYNYRD Free Bird Live 1977 - YouTube[/ame]