Is a 10ft rod hard to use?

John Wood 8

Reaction score
I have been ofered a 10ft 7 weight rod at a very good price, but was wondering if it will give me arm / back ache!

can anyone tell me if there's much difference between a 9'6 rod and a 10ft version.

unfortunately I can't try before I buy!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I have rods in both lengths. My 10 footer is a Greys Platinum XD which weighs less than 4 oz. The 9 1/2 footers are a Sage 6 weight XP and a Sonik 6/7 weight, both of which are lovely rods and weigh about 3 1/2 oz each.

Personally I can cast further with the 91/2 footers than with the 10 footer. However I like the 10 footer for boat fishing, the extra reach is a great help here.

I can fish all day with all the rods, so that side of things does not worry me.

You don't mention the make of the rod you have ordered.

If you experience a sore arm. or have back ache, you need to look very carefully at your casting technique. A good guide is the number of false casts you take before final delivery. You shouldn't need more than 3 false casts; if you do, a session with a casting pro would be a good idea.

For short casting on rivers or small still waters, a couple of false castsare all you need, except when you are false casting to dry your fly.

John Wood 8

Reaction score
its a shimano biocraft 10ft rod. I haven't agreed to buy it yet.

thanks

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

I must admit that I do not know these rods, but I would imagine that it's none too bad.

But honestly I would never buy a rod without first trying it out.

C

Colin North, the one and only

To answer the original question.......No, they are not.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

And can be an advantage at times if you're vertically challenged ......