Oi! Get Out of My Sea-Trout Pool!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just watched three Media Gringos fleeing an always very pleasant to ME at least, VETS and all, Argentina and into Chile, going straight through a piece of river I used to fish. Just what are you up to, fellas? I had sea-trout into the mid 20s on dry fly, nymph and streamer up there, camped in a little tent, with just the odd gaucho and rather more sheep and guanaco and one hot woman for company - and now you go and ruin once much-improved and -improving Anglo-Argentine relations for "Diddly Squat" (JerzaC owns a bit of the Cotwolds named D.S. - look it up). Seems to me that those lost-the-plot rock-throwing local, post-War wash-ups gave you more than just D.S., more like D.P.

You took on a highly civilized and sophisticated country and people, not your usual Third World "Let's do a slitty eye joke" sort of place, and paid the consequences.

Pity. Lovely region, with some sensational people and fishing (shouldn't have mentioned the latter, Paul ... okay ... "I know and caught NOTHING....".

Last edited:

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good God man, can't you recognise a politically motivated bit of rabble rousing when you see it?
I'm no big fan of Clarkson and co and find many of their recent escapades childish in the extreme but in this instance I think they might just have been innocent victims of a bit of political shenanigans designed to distract the, as you rightly say, very proud people of Argentina from some far more serious problems caused by their own corrupt government. Much as the Falklands war was a distraction by the Argentine and our own Government.

And before you come back with one of your smart arse comments just remember there will be people reading this who left friends and comrades in the Falklands in 1982.

PS. Did Santa bring you the TV or have you been lying about not having one of those as well?

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good God man, can't you recognise a politically motivated bit of rabble rousing when you see it?
I'm no big fan of Clarkson and co and find many of their recent escapades childish in the extreme but in this instance I think they might just have been innocent victims of a bit of political shenanigans designed to distract the, as you rightly say, very proud people of Argentina from some far more serious problems caused by their own corrupt government. Much as the Falklands war was a distraction by the Argentine and our own Government.

PS. Did Santa bring you the TV or have you been lying about not having one of those as well?

Oh God, the trainspotting Usual Suspects looking to score points are off!

TV? Neighbour. Thank you for asking, saved Pixie the job.

Politics? Oh yes. Plenty of tawdry stuff by half-lifes and low-lifes on BOTH sides. And once again the Argentines won by a Hand of God.

Don'tcha just hate it (and, for the now up-the-spout Usual Suspect Crew, me)?

There are grown ups when it comes to international relations and there are mere petrol heads who'll throw the stuff on the dying embers of a stupid conflict just to make a buck. Clarkie and the "Boys" blew it, and will have been given a very firm talking to by the Foreign Office and also had a call from Jerza's near-neighbour Dave.

British Right Wing Meeja "diplomacy" for the British Domestic Xenophobe at its very best?

Nope. Not this time. Even the adoring non-PC hard-of-thinking fans sussed you, and thought "Er ... FAIL".

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Dam I missed it watching the darts

I love Clarkson , he's non PC out bursts really make me laugh how the " ho so careful not to upset anyone" lot give him the publicity he wants

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Oh God, the trainspotting Usual Suspects looking to score points are off!

TV? Neighbour. Thank you for asking, saved Pixie the job.

Politics? Oh yes. Plenty of tawdry stuff by half-lifes and low-lifes on BOTH sides. And once again the Argentines won by a Hand of God.

Don'tcha just hate it (and, for the now up-the-spout Usual Suspect Crew, me)?

There are grown ups when it comes to international relations and there are mere petrol heads who'll throw the stuff on the dying embers of a stupid conflict just to make a buck. Clarkie and the "Boys" blew it, and will have been given a very firm talking to by the Foreign Office and also had a call from Jerza's near-neighbour Dave.

British Right Wing Meeja "diplomacy" for the British Domestic Xenophobe at its very best?

Nope. Not this time. Even the adoring non-PC hard-of-thinking fans sussed you, and thought "Er ... FAIL".

Too easy........Like that fishing hell tale you keep trotting out.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Too easy........Like that fishing hell tale you keep trotting out.

Take your (earlier admitted, elsewhere on FM) heavy Christmas cold to bed with a hot toddy and leave those who have been to places and got to know them and their sometimes complex and difficult people quite well, and so able to speak with some degree of knowledge and understanding (more than the fools who lined up and ran that BBC shoot) to speak of things that you know precious little about.

Have I told you the one about MartinZ, a lad from one of the oldest and finest Polo-playing families in Argentina, who spent the war as a conscript in Rio Gallegos, as the 18-year-old Batman of a high-ranking Argentine Army General, tending the little rose bushes (planted in flowerbeds comprising of sand) that the General's wife had sent to her hubbie to brighten up the bungalow in which he was living as he directed operations God knows how many miles away across the sea? Perhaps not. It was the funniest and most hysterical account of the pointlessness of War and the stupidity of Military Types I have ever ever heard (the lad was a brilliant natural wit), far ahead of Evelyn Waugh's WWII "Sword of Honour / Put Up More Flags" sequence of novels. Up there with Milligan's "Adolf Hitler - My Part in His Downfall". Brilliant. No, more like real genius.

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Paul I don't believe you have mentioned that story , I'm keen to hear more

All in a book wot I rote once (twice actually , two similar but very different manuscripts), but never to be published now - Angling changed, the book would have been just an advert for the Smart Set foreign boomholays who invaded Argentina in the late 1990s and early 2000s and grabbed its best fishing (all which I appear to have fished). Shouldn't have mentioned Martin and his then new, equally delightful (and a supremely good flycaster - God, she was good) wife, Paula.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
All in a book wot I rote once (twice actually , two similar but very different manuscripts), but never to be published now - Angling changed, the book would have been just an advert for the Smart Set foreign boomholays who invaded Argentina in the late 1990s and early 2000s and grabbed its best fishing (all which I appear to have fished). Shouldn't have mentioned Martin and his then new, equally delightful (and a supremely good flycaster - God, she was good) wife, Paula.

Oh well I guess there's a gem that we missed , any chance of a brief recall of the story

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like I said before Paul (B) some people reading this left friends on that little patch of rock, you would do well to remember you are not the only one who has traveled but not all had the luxury of traveling with an 8 weight fly outfit and a bit of imaginary posh totty.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Like I said before Paul (B) some people reading this left friends on that little patch of rock, you would do well to remember you are not the only one who has traveled but not all had the luxury of traveling with an 8 weight fly outfit and a bit of imaginary posh totty.

And you, Titus / Adrian Williams, are perhaps eaten out by things that I have never been.

Still, I have led a life, both personal and Angling, that I regret not a second of, warts and all.

Anyway, bedtime, before the online bedbugs bite.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Something here about the Chileans and their border with Argentina.

Top Gear shows attack by angry mob in Argentina - Telegraph

There is "history" between the two nations.

Lovely people the Chileans, a lot less likely to "go off on one" than Argentines and altogether more comfortable in their own heads and skins.

When I used to fish the famed Rio Grande and two of its upper tributaries on its border with Chile, we had a pool named Border Patrol on the stretch of main-river water that I often fished, named for the Chilean border patrol guards and officials whom an Argentine ranch-owner, a good pal of mine, allowed to drive a mile or so downriver out of Chile, armed with their pothunters' spinning rods and fish. By the same token, whenever I wished to fish in Chile, merely by crossing the wire sheep fence at the upper limit of the ranch's wonderful 18-mile length of river, then work upstream on foot for a few miles, the Chilean Border Patrol lads didn't come looking for me and my passport (though, when I decided to fish the upper-upper Rio Grande in Chile some miles upriver, I of course entered Chile at a much larger border-crossing point and registered and made official my, on one trip, three weeks of fishing spent up there.

Happy times.

Titus

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
And you, Titus / Adrian Williams, are perhaps eaten out by things that I have never been.

Still, I have led a life, both personal and Angling, that I regret not a second of, warts and all.

Anyway, bedtime, before the online bedbugs bite.

Eaten Out? What is that supposed to mean?

I rarely if ever think about you Paul and when I do it is usually prompted by another one of your introspective self serving threads, this one being a prime example.

The picture I have of you in by head is a male version of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL2vdivPQAI

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He muses, apropos of nothing at all, privately, to his God-like self, in his own thread that will be read and passed around by a lot of experienced sea-trouters and decent flyfishers (it's already been seen in West Wales by a man who once fished with me in the Argentine south and copied and passed on privately): some Brits would make perfect Worst Sort Argentines ... grudge-filled and envy-consumed, likely to go off without provocation and unable to get over whatever - whether it was yesterday, or today or tomorrow - is presently eating them out, very often on account of the realisation that, however much sound and fury they might put out, they count for nothing among decent, able people.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
There once was an angler named Boote
Who's fishing proficiency was moot
Sadly on forums
He lacked much decorum
And rather than help he'd pollute

nicepix

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for a fishing tale from this millennium. Can't see it happening now :wh

---------- Post added at 16:49 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

There is an old fellow called Boote
With an ego ever so brut.
But to angle afar
without the aid of a car
is exceptionally hard to compute

greenie62

Reaction score
And when his claims are questioned
He kicks up a fuss
Cos now in the present
He goes down the Colne Valley by bus

Oh Corky,
That's appalling - it doesn't scan, barely rhymes, and doesn't follow the Standard pattern for a Limerick.
In terms of content - it is surprisingly tasteful for you and almost praises Paul for using green, sustainable, transport means in an area of environmental pressure!
Overall - could be worse - and usually is!
:D

Reaction score
I thank you. If it was supposed to be a limerick then it would read like a limerick. Instead it's just some rubbish with the word bus shoehorned into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.