Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Flies for coarse fish?

Although I've caught perch, pike and dace on the fly, the only species I managed consistently was rudd. A small dry fly did the trick when the fish were clearly on the rise.

Got very close to catching a carp on a dry fly a few times. I really put the hours in, hooked them, but didn't land them. It made me realise that carp behaving naturally don't just hoover up what's on the surface, they hoover the surface and if there happens to be some food (or bait, or a fly) in the way, then that will get sucked in too.

Despite being a fly fisherman for a very long time, I do realise that it is quite a stupid, and generally ineffective way to fish:

It certainly is Mighty, but it is one of the nicest ways to fish, no lugging heavy gear about, smelly baits to deal with. And a fish won on the fly is very worthy, even a humble Rudd.
    Many years ago when I had a very stressful job I used to go chasing a few Chub on the fly after work, a nice half mile walk, a good pub at one end with a nice sausage & onion pie with all the trimmings and a pint of best bitter. Then a leisurely stroll back with belly full and the odd Chub caught if I was lucky. It was just the best tablet in the world for stress.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post

[/COLOR]I did fish these out of my pile of fishing junk Robrake which I bought some months ago from a junk shop, I think I only paid about 3 quid (bit of an unhealthy obsession, I canoot help it). However I have no idea what they are or if they will suit coarse species. If anyone has any ideas (the pics might not be clear enough) are they wet or dry flies?---

Nice catch! I can't help with ID, though; I'm as clueless as you, bud.
    "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."

Rod turned up yesterday, its OK for the price although it was a different colour, brown not black but I think I prefer that. Feels nicely balanced with the reel on but yet to actually test it. Packs nicely into a short length, another bonus. Checked the line on the reel, it has yards of backing line on it and the fly line looks OK, quite thin, doubled tapered probably about right for coarse fish.
    Got my landing net and other accessories already, a box of flies, yet some to buy of the suggested varieties; all kitted out for about 15 quid.
    June the 16th, a wander along the canal first for about half a mile. An interesting bird place at the end of it, nesting terns and gulls, some Avocets, Marsh Harriers and the odd Hobby., a wander back and then a pint or six in the pub on the hill. Any fish would just be be a bonus. I will be right in the zone by then I reckon---astral plane 7...man...
    Last edited by markg; 03-04-2016 at 08:25.

5. Default Re: Flies for coarse fish?

Hi Mark

The flies look to be a mixture of Nymphs ( which fish under the surface) and dry flies, the picture quality makes identification difficult but i think i saw a Damsel fly nymph and a Mayfly nymph. the dry flies will stand up on their own on a table if you put them on it. if you hold them in the steam of a kettle it will straighten out any feathers that have been flattened by sitting in the box for a while

if you are thinking about Carp and Chub, you might want to look for a mixer fly (a dry fly shaped like dog biscuits ) and fish this amongst some dog biscuits.

if looking to fish under the surface, think about weighted versions of nymphs, these will sink more quickly - in my experience getting a fly down 6 feet will take some doing. gold head versions of the nymphs mentioned will sink better

you need to make sure that your rod and line are matched, the rod should have a weight rating on it (#6 for example) and the rod should be matched to a line of the same rating (#6 or 6 weight) i suspect that this will be particularly important with a cheaper rod.

hope this helps

jon

6. Default Re: Flies for coarse fish?

Quote Originally Posted by mightyboosh View Post
    Despite being a fly fisherman for a very long time, I do realise that it is quite a stupid, and generally ineffective way to fish:

it only becomes stupid when like me you flick an imitation crust strait into the open maw of the lake monster with your 7wt.
    its like a replay of ahab and moby all over again ,

on a side note, a quick goog will produce fly patterns for most species and y##tube will most likely provide a tying tutorial for you

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 ----------

mark, here are a couple of webs sites to start you off, one thing they all have in common is the coarse fish on fly theme

The Rise of Coarse on Fly | Eat, Sleep, Fish

flyfishing for coarse fish – Turrall Fly Fishing – Blog

just two for now but if you want ready tied try Ebay

just found this very interesting site if its carp your after
    http://shop.peaksflyfishing.com/carp...FcSRGwod7ZwDsw

and here is a blog that shows just how thrilling it can be, i remember a conversation i had with richard gardner who it turns out is quite the fly aficionado and he was quite willing to send me a couple of his own personal patterns that i have caught many carp on overtime.

http://gardnertackle.co.uk/2012/05/c...ng-difference/

happy fishing matey
    Last edited by ciprinus; 03-04-2016 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Leckie View Post
    Hi Mark

The flies look to be a mixture of Nymphs ( which fish under the surface) and dry flies, the picture quality makes identification difficult but i think i saw a Damsel fly nymph and a Mayfly nymph. the dry flies will stand up on their own on a table if you put them on it. if you hold them in the steam of a kettle it will straighten out any feathers that have been flattened by sitting in the box for a while

if you are thinking about Carp and Chub, you might want to look for a mixer fly (a dry fly shaped like dog biscuits ) and fish this amongst some dog biscuits.

if looking to fish under the surface, think about weighted versions of nymphs, these will sink more quickly - in my experience getting a fly down 6 feet will take some doing. gold head versions of the nymphs mentioned will sink better

you need to make sure that your rod and line are matched, the rod should have a weight rating on it (#6 for example) and the rod should be matched to a line of the same rating (#6 or 6 weight) i suspect that this will be particularly important with a cheaper rod.

hope this helps

jon
    That helps a lot Jon, thanks. I do not know the rating of the rod but it is carbon and looks well made, good reinforcing around the spigots. It looks a lightish rod and the line on the reel is quite thin at the thickest part so, might be a good enough match.

---------- Post added at 07:23 ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ciprinus View Post
    it only becomes stupid when like me you flick an imitation crust strait into the open maw of the lake monster with your 7wt.
    its like a replay of ahab and moby all over again ,

on a side note, a quick goog will produce fly patterns for most species and y##tube will most likely provide a tying tutorial for you

---------- Post added at 08:48 ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 ----------

mark, here are a couple of webs sites to start you off, one thing they all have in common is the coarse fish on fly theme

The Rise of Coarse on Fly | Eat, Sleep, Fish

flyfishing for coarse fish – Turrall Fly Fishing – Blog

just two for now but if you want ready tied try Ebay

just found this very interesting site if its carp your after
    Carp Flies

and here is a blog that shows just how thrilling it can be, i remember a conversation i had with richard gardner who it turns out is quite the fly aficionado and he was quite willing to send me a couple of his own personal patterns that i have caught many carp on overtime.

Carp fishing with a difference - Gardner Tackle

happy fishing matey
    Thanks Ciprinus, had a quick scan and read at the websites, go back later for a proper read through. They look very helpful. carp will not be my main fish, the canal and the river have a few in them but not many. It may happen I will spot one and try a cast to them but, I don't think the rod and line will be suitable, maybe I will get some more gear when I get into it a bit. Mainly I think I will be trying for the rudd in the canal to start with, theres some very nice rudd in it and roach, some nymph maybe just under the surface as Jon suggested. Its very weedy and I think this may be the best at first.
    Last edited by markg; 04-04-2016 at 07:26.

I found the book fly fishing for course fish in my local library and took a load of pictures of the flys mentioned for roach and rudd but there should be no reason you won't catch other species on them as well

I have caught carp on a fly rod on Nash Bugs. They are meant for zigs but I couldnt catch any carp zigging with them.

They do catch carp very effectively on the surface though with a fly line.

There is a section on the FM fly fishing forum which includes threads about coarse species you might want to have a look through ...

Fly fishing for other species - Fly Fishing Forums

If there are perch about Magoo flys with the orange bead head can work well with short strips.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast