small river set up,am i too late

pin addict

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i have been researching the art of fly fishing for a couple of weeks now and i have decided that its something i have to have a go at,

i fish a small river thats local to me and have had some good results trotting,but while i have been there especially in september i saw a sight that was awesome,a hatch of insects and the a competition between birds swooping down just missing me on the uptake as i was stood in the middle of the river and rising fish probably small brownies dace and chub i will never forget this and i actually stopped fishing just to watch it happen twice in one late afternoon,

but this is what started me thinking about a fly set up,so i want to ask a few questions if you dont mind,/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

1 is it too late for me to start fly fishing on the river even if i dont catch at least it will get me used to casting,

the river i fish is around 3-6ft in depth and approx 10ft-30ft wide,and i normally get in and walk the 1.5 mile stretch,

what would be asimple(cheap set up for such a river)but i may want to venture onto the river ribble occasionally,

i have been studying rods before anything else and have worked outfrom previous post that on average a 9ft#5 or 6# would be fine,

what do you think?

i will leaveit at that for now then i can digest it all lol

cheers paul

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA)

Go for the 5 weight. It's doubtful if you ever have to cast more than 15 yards so here is a tip to save money.

Get a mill end double taper from Mullarkies and cut it in half. Splice it to 20 lb backing and put about 30 yards of this backing on a small reel. You get two lines for less than a fiver!!

For a rod, look at the Greys GRXI 8 1/2 foot 4/5 for about £104, or the Sonik about the same length for £65. The Okuma SLV reels are superb value for money for £40.

The greatest difficulty in starting fly fishing is learning to cast. Some people pick up the trick of casting quickly. Some people don't and require professional tuition. If you have never cast a fly before remember you are not trying to cast the fly. You are casting THE LINE, the fly goes along for the ride.

pin addict

Reaction score
cheers ron,do you think its the wrong time of year for fly fishing on the river,

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Never to late mate.

You will have little chance to use dries but nymphs and spiders will still work.

I see you are in my neck of the woods which river are you fishing.

Gear wise i would go for a 8.5 - 9 foot 5 weight as the others have suggested.

pin addict

Reaction score
hi bryan,

believe it or not it is the river yarrow a stretch owned by croston and bretherton anglers dont know why they have it as for the last 4months i have been fishing it i havent seen a sole on there =,good for me i ahve my own fishery lol!

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Never fished it myself

Drove past it a few tmes though.

Do they have a web site for details mate. Wecould then possibly share the stretch.

pin addict

Reaction score
hi bryan,they have a strange rule in that you must be a local resident or live within the boundaries of said club,

theres no website that i know of but there are alot of free stretches on the river through chorley and birkacre,euxton(back of tescos)although its a case of wandering up and down these lengths due to fences and very shallow runs,where i go i can get in at the top end and fish for a 1.5mile stretch with only getting out 2 or 3 times for cattle fence and deep deep pools,

paul

C

Colin North, the one and only

So what do you guys catch on the Yarrow. Game fish or coarse? or both?

pin addict

Reaction score
hi colin,so far i have caught brown trout,dace roach chubb and pike,and i believe the odd salmon runs up there as they have been seen in the salmon and trout ladder further upstream

paul