Stripping basket

sumtime

Reaction score
One thing I've never done, salt water fly fishing, I have made a fly to use as a lure on my travel rod in the past but this is a new one for me.

I'm expecting to go to Anglesey sometime this month and fishing in the surf and off rocks would be a problem for my trailing line so thought I'd try a basket.

They go for silly money, my wife said she'd buy me one for my birthday (a couple of weeks back) but making one is far cheaper and enjoyable, I came up with this, the basket cost a quid, I already had the rest of the items, glue strap and plastic items. :)

Anyone used a stripping tray/basket?

john step

Reaction score
I am sure it will work very well but are you sure it cost a quid. It looks like one of Mothercares baskets to me:D:D:D:D:D

robtherake

Reaction score

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score

greenie62

Reaction score
Nice one la',
If it's no good as a stripping basket - IF the Summer comes back - you can always use it for choc-ices and drinks on the grandkids fishing trips! :D
:thumbs:

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Back in the day we used to call them "line trays". Very useful towards attaining those extra inches on the cast whilst double hauling a #9 shooting head out as far as possible into the depths of Chew Valley while wading.

A belt, sharp knife and washing up bowl was all that was required!

:eek:mg:

aimeekitching

Reaction score
Ahhhhh, I've always wondered what these were for... ( I'm new to fly fishing only been at it 3-4 months) i thought they were for putting tangled leader and off cuts in so they didnt harm the wildlife :eek:mg: oh naive :eek:mg: I'm pretty sure i might find one of these useful as i pull my line out which then sits on the fall until I'm ready to cast which i then invariably stand on and get tangled round my feet leading me to produce a horrific cast !!, same applies when I've hooked :eek:mg: i have that much line out on the floor in front of me I'm screwed if i have to move ( i find it difficult playing fish off the reel) !! i think I've seen these that you can clip round your waist.... do you guys think i may benefit from one ?

andygrey

Reaction score
I've only really found stripping baskets helpful when saltwater fishing or when wading with a sinking line. For river or still water bank fishing they tend to be more of a hindrance. If you get into the habit of laying your striped line away to one side of you and try to keep your feet still whilst fishing then that will help with not standing on the line.

dicky123

Reaction score
Great basket, well done. I've made a few like it when very the years.

Another idea is a landing net with a spiked end in the pole, push it in the ground and use the open net as a tray. Great when standing in water, or surf.

Nice one.