Recommendations for a 9'6" #6 medium fast rod

greener

Reaction score
Hi everyone, am looking for recommendations for a 9'6" #6 medium fast
fly rod, three or four section, for dry fly mainly on lakes from the bank.
And I do not want to spend too much, €100.00 or so, unless I really need to
spend more.
I have #5 #6 and #7 floating lines, the six being the one that should
cast the best, and a Danielson 4/7 reel with three spools to use on the rod.

Each time I google, I for some strange reason only get two UK shops and
lots of US ones, so thought I would ask to see what everyone recommends
and is using in this price range. Wind is the biggest problem I currently
have on the location I visit, so would this mean a stiffer rod, though I am
dry fly fishing, probably not the best combination wind and dry flys.

Any help appreciated, regards, john

keora

Reaction score
I've got 3 Grey's rods which are good. On their web site they've got 13 fly rods, of which the G30 is the nearest to your requirements.

Rods

You can probably get cheaper brands if you shop around, although I don't know enough to recommend any.

greener

Reaction score
On their web site they've got 13 fly rods, of which the G30 is the nearest to your requirements.

Rods

You can probably get cheaper brands if you shop around, although I don't know enough to recommend any.

When I looked on the site, I saw no #6 in the length I wanted, not even in the G50 range, but not to worry there are plenty online.
Could you just tell me what you mean by the G30 being nearest to my requirements, just wondering if it is the action or the price you mean, if action then maybe I should stop looking at the G50.

Either way, thanks for commenting, and if anyone else has any recommendations I would kike to hear them.

Thanks and regards, john

keora

Reaction score
The GR30, according to the info on the Greys site costs between about £80 to £120, depending on size. It's at the top of your price range. The site says the 9ft 6in size 6 medium fast rod is out of stock although it might still be available at one of the big retailers - John Norris or Glasgow Angling.

Greys® GR30 | Greys®

There is a cheaper rod, the GR10, for beginners, but it has a soft action and the 9ft 6in version takes a #AFTM 7 line.

Greys® GR10 | Greys®

You could get further advice on this site:

http://www.flyfishing.co.uk/tackle-talk/

I'd avoid buying a rod without handling it first.

Last edited:

greener

Reaction score
Thanks keora, I am going into my local stores on Tuesday, they do Greys and Shakespeare, I will at least be able to feel the rods and judge whether they are physically suited to how I cast, I have a bad elbow so I could end up with either a 9' of 9'6" rod depending on how stiff they feel.
I want to stay with a #6 to cast in wind, either way can anyone comment on what they think of the Agility rods in this wt, are they accurately rated or could I go down a wt and still cast a 6 on them and get good distance.
One shop also has a 9' #6 Odessey xt, would this be as good as the newer Agility rods, I like that it is a 3 Piece as I believe less joints is a good thing, and it will still fit in my car boot, The image shown for this rod shows a full wells handle, is this correct, this rod is in the furthest shop away form me and they have no other rods in my price range so if anyone can comment on it I may be saved a journey.

Thanks to all, john

Last edited:

lepirate

Reaction score
The Shakespeare Agility rods are pretty good, I have a few of them and can not fault them. Med fast, will take a line heavier if needed, good power and light weight blanks. Some places have them on sale so the price could be well under your budget (though well worth the 50 odd quid full price) From a couple of other of your posts I would recommend the Agility 9ft 5wt paired with a Caimore WF5F line from Ebay, they work well together. Light enough so easy on arm, will throw a good distance for lakes and is a decent compromise for river work. It will handle decent (3lb+) fish without being too stiff for smaller stuff and the price is very good. Worth trying the rod if you get a chance.
Dave.

Last edited:

greener

Reaction score
Hi daven, thanks for commenting, I am glad to hear a good opinion of the Agility, the fish in the lakes I go to are not big, I was more worried about the always present wind that restricts casting, I have that lidl or aldi I forget which 8' 5/6 wt for the river, but I know form using it it is not much good at the lakes because of the wind, a 5 seems too light and a six overpowers it real quick, this was also my reason for thinking a proper #6 would be a safer bet.
Is an Agility #6 too much that I would not be able to dry fly fish on a lake with it. I know casting on will tell me what I can cast best, but at the end of the day if I can use a #6 for more distance and still catch fish on the dry fly would I not be better off going for a #6.

I appreciate the responses, its just not easy for a non fly fisher to initially get
something that will not hold him back, and its only by asking what may seem stupid questions that one can get a better picture.

Thanks everyone.

lepirate

Reaction score
The Agility 9ft #5 is pretty much my go to rod unless small streams or really calm lakes for dries then I use a slower lighter weight. If you get a lot of wind you might want to try the #6 but dealing with wind is really more about casting not heavier line. I do use an Agility EXP #6 (7piece) when I want more power tho I find the #5 works well in most conditions and will punch out a good line if your casting is ok. 9ft would probably be better than 9'6" on your elbow and should cast as far.
Dave

cb

Admin
Reaction score
I would not buy a cheap rod - for £100 I would buy expensive but second hand. It's amazing what you can get for £100. Look out for Hardy Gems and Sage RPLx s. Wonderful rods -

I suggest ring Sportfish Winforton to see what they have second hand that's been traded in.

Cheers

Colin

greenie62

Reaction score
Hi John,
I see you've had quite a few recommendations - all of which might well suit you! :rolleyes: As you've no doubt sussed already - the only way to tell which is going to suit you - is to try 'em out.

The ultimate rod for all purposes hasn't been invented - but you're probably best spending part of your budget on getting some casting tuition!

Friends who have done this have often changed their tackle subsequently - since learning to cast and use the rod/line 'properly'. All say it was money well spent! - sometimes even selling their original rods and buying something cheaper but more suited and more effective.

Tight Lines:thumbs:

greener

Reaction score
9ft 5wt paired with a Caimore WF5F line from Ebay, they work well together.
Dave.

Hi again daven

Is this the line you mention above, just want to be sure before I order,
Voodoo ‘Weight Forward’ fly line | Caimore Direct

ALso, is this furled leader from the same site a good match, I want to use the one with loops on both ends,
or would you recommend something else.

http://caimore.co.uk/wp/index.php/product/tapered-furled-leaders/
They also sell a tippet spool, if anyone can comment on this product please.
Just trying to get it all in one place to save on postage.

Thanks, john

Last edited: