rod advice

wrighty64

Reaction score
hi just picked a rod in charity shop think its fibreglass and joint is loose can anyone suggest how i can refurbish it
thanks

chrissh

Reaction score
What joints are they … put over or spigot ferrule joints, there is a carbon spray for worn joint but don’t know if it would work with fiberglass. Or you could trim 3mm of the outer section. If the joints have worn too far they might be too weak to do anything with???

wrighty64

Reaction score
thanks joint is spigot type gonna see if i can get some fibre glass n build it up otherwise make it interference fit with tape on day of use as i will only be using it on odd occasion hence £6,50 paid

Keith M

Reaction score
I would try what Chris said and trim a few mm off of the upper female section until it fits snugly over the spigot (with a little bit of spigot showing for future wear) and then add a little rewhipping (around a cm) on the outside of the female section just to strengthen it.
NB: That's if the spigoted section is the wider/lower section which is usually the case of course.

It sounds like it might be an easy fix.

Keith

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would try what Chris said and trim a few mm off of the upper female section until it fits snugly over the spigot (with a little bit of spigot showing for future wear) and then add a little rewhipping (around a cm) on the outside of the female section just to strengthen it.
NB: That's if the spigoted section is the wider/lower section which is usually the case of course.

It sounds like it might be an easy fix.

Keith

Exactly what Keith said . . . . . .

dicky123

Reaction score
Get some wet and dry in various grades. Work through the grades until the rod is perfectly clean, remove all guides too.

When you feel it's just right, bin it!! No fibreglass rod is ever worth effort, they are rubbish.:w

Cane or graphite are the only two materials worth bothering with, sorry guys.:wh

ken more

Reaction score
Get some wet and dry in various grades. Work through the grades until the rod is perfectly clean, remove all guides too.

When you feel it's just right, bin it!! No fibreglass rod is ever worth effort, they are rubbish.:w

Cane or graphite are the only two materials worth bothering with, sorry guys.:wh

Not to detract from the original poster, but this made me laugh so much, that i almost told my wife she was right. Ta for that::D:D:w

andygrey

Reaction score

Some pretty good 'new' glass rods out there...

Atom Six Vitreous Glass review

robtherake

Reaction score
Some pretty good 'new' glass rods out there...

Atom Six Vitreous Glass review

Well, well. Who'd have thought the latest niche material would be fibreglass. New rod building materials often seem to start life as fly-fishermen's exotica, before finding their way into the coarser rods employed by the hoi polloi. Watch this space?

Edit: BTW, are they still making rods from carrots?