reels?

JeffGar

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was selecting a fly reel. I've red tons of reviews, comparisons and stuff, so I was looking at 2 options at the moment. I wanted something not too expensive, yet I need the reel that will last for some time and that won't irritate me with being too stiff, you know. My budget is $100 with shipping at MAX. These are the 2 that I believe are good based on my observations: Wright & McGill Dragon Fly Reel WMEDFSLA56 and Okuma® - SLV Fly Reel. I am not looking for something really professional and too expensive, just for a quality thing that will do its job, ya know. Anyways, please educate me on reels. Any recommendations from your experience are appreciated!

O

O.C.F.Disorder

check for cheap second hand ones. lots of people try fly fishing, go once and decide its not for them.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if these are available in the US but you could do a lot worse than looking at the Grey's stable of fly reels.

They are solid, with a good drag system, and last a long time, and many of their models are within your price
range.

I've had and used one for the last 6 years in which time it has been "used and abused" a fair bit.

Last edited:

stillwater blue

Reaction score
You've not said what wt your after or application, it would help.

Presuming your after a reel for trout for dry fly or nymphing then you don't need a disc drag, IMHO a trout sized fly reel is pretty much a line holder. I'm a big fan of click pawl reels as they're lighter than disc drag reels and have less moving parts to go wrong. I like the Orvis Battenkill range of reels as they're light, robust, and have classic styling. The battenkills are a hint on the small side so I tend to size up, I use a II on a 3/4 weight and a III on a 5 weight.

JeffGar

Reaction score
Thanks for commenting on reels, folks. I was looking for a reel for trout fishing. I realize, that this is not a must-have thing, yet it's more convenient to fish with a rail.
I'm not sure if these are available in the US but you could do a lot worse than looking at the Grey's stable of fly reels. They are solid, with a good drag system, and last a long time, and many of their models are within your price range. I've had and used one for the last 6 years in which time it has been "used and abused" a fair bit.
Thanks for the recommendation, I will check it out, man.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
I wonder what Jeff means by fly fishing first. For both carp/predators fishing (streamers etc) I have a Redington Surge 8/9 which is simple and reliable. The Surge can be found in the US for $80.
On my trout rod a semi-automatic Vivarelli is superb but the price might be an issue (to check in US).

john step

Reaction score
It would be interesting to read posts from you about the fishing over there.
There is a thread on this forum called HOW DID YOU GET ON.

David Gane

Reaction score
If it's your first or only fly reel you may want to consider buying one with a cassette system (ie with interchangeable spools). That would enable you to buy three or four different lines (e.g. a floating line, an intermediate and a faster sinking one) without having to buy a reel for each. It's much more flexible that way.

Tomas-Ireland2023

Reaction score
new to fly fishing myself , im look at gear . and as the person said above a cassette fly reel is way to go i think . im looking at either the greys fin cassette (2 extra spools ) airflo have a cassette ( 3 extra spools ) and wychwood has a cassette model (2 extra spools ) and there all around €100-€125 . so roughly in you budget range .im going for one of them makes and models

John Aston

Reaction score
It is very hard to buy a fly reel for normal trout fishing which isn't fit for purpose. Reels aren't terribly important , and aesthetics and budget tend to drive choice more than fishing need . I mainly use Hardy and German Vosseler reels , which are lovely to own , beautifully made but no better than a £25 budget reel at catching fish ....

But fly fishing firms are past masters at describing the spec of rods , lines and reels as if they were intended for aerospace or Formula One use. And price them accordingly . A rod costing a grand , a reel costing £500 loaded with a £90 line won't catch any more than stuff costing a third as much , or less . What counts is observation and technique . Both are free .

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It is very hard to buy a fly reel for normal trout fishing which isn't fit for purpose. Reels aren't terribly important , and aesthetics and budget tend to drive choice more than fishing need . I mainly use Hardy and German Vosseler reels , which are lovely to own , beautifully made but no better than a £25 budget reel at catching fish ....

But fly fishing firms are past masters at describing the spec of rods , lines and reels as if they were intended for aerospace or Formula One use. And price them accordingly . A rod costing a grand , a reel costing £500 loaded with a £90 line won't catch any more than stuff costing a third as much , or less . What counts is observation and technique . Both are free .
There is so much of this stuff around second hand now, one of the benefits of modern materials, it never rots, second hand shops of all description are full of fishing gear now, rods, reels. I think fly fishing is one of the cheapest branches of angling to set up in, not for the connoisseur maybe but this lot I picked up for a tenner, Rimfly reel and three part reels, I have not sorted it out yet but the rimfly cost £4 in a boot and the spools with fly lines and backings etc. were £2 each in a junk shop. I have 4 fly rods that cost £5 each. I thought the rimfly had some rust on it but it is some sort of orange powder, it is on the inside as well. just needs a clean and a bit of oil. I have picked up several boxes of flies for a few quid, I had a nice aluminum one a while back, a Perrrine 100 with clips for flies and about 70 flies, I think it cost me £10. There is no end to it really.
reel.jpg

Last edited:

flightliner

Reaction score
No one in particular
I bought my first rimfly reel back in '73 when I first took up fly fishing.
They have done yeoman service over the years and as said they are "line holders".
I now have three, with no reason in my mind for a reason to change, they work fine!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No one in particular
I bought my first rimfly reel back in '73 when I first took up fly fishing.
They have done yeoman service over the years and as said they are "line holders".
I now have three, with no reason in my mind for a reason to change, they work fine!
I know Flight, I have two others, both ready attached to fly rods for as you go use. As you say line holders, all mine have been second hand so maybe quite old but still working in full. I am not a fly connoisseur, just an occasional go so, I imagine those that do it a lot might want something lighter, better and more expensive but these reels are fine for the job. Its just so cheap if you look round, those spare spools I bought, fly lines and backings included, £2, silly money really, fly fishing can be very cheap. I also find odd lots of flies in tobacco tins or such like, a couple of quid. Rods can be cheap as well although I have bought a second hand Shimano fly rod for £38 recently, it does look nice and very light, yet to fish with it but still cheap when you think about it. I am thinking of giving it a try on the 16th or soon after, for chub, bit hot for anything else. And I can always take the fly off, put a 10 hook and a lump of cheese on, watch the line in the shallows if I find it too tiring.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
My first fly reel was a Rimfly and it now has a dapping line on it and is rarely used.

These days I now use Abel and Sage which are in an altogether different cost zone, and incorporate fantastic modern features.

flightliner

Reaction score
Peter, i have what I believe is called a "Gearfly" I think it was made by the same manufacturer as the rimfly where one turn of the handle causes some three turns of the spool.
Do you know if that is correct?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
My first fly reel was a Rimfly and it now has a dapping line on it and is rarely used.

These days I now use Abel and Sage which are in an altogether different cost zone, and incorporate fantastic modern features.
Looked them up, different class altogether than rimfly. I think if I was fishing some of the chalk streams of England were you paid a lot of money to fish, I would want better gear than the average. The nearest chalk stream fishing I have is on some of the Great Stour but last time I checked it was all taken up by some wealthy northerners. The great shame was that they hardly ever came down to fish it. I was told they had it because it was a status thing, having some exclusive trout chalk stream fishing but not the Itchen or Test but still a status thing.
I used to visit Arlesford quite a lot, my sisters had a bistro there and the bailiff used to come in for a beer, got to know him quite well and he said if I came down in the week and no body was on his stretch I could come and have afternoons fishing, that was on the Itchen but because of work could not make it. But I used to walk it sometimes, beautiful stretch and seeing those big wild browns was something else.
I think that the better gear would catch more fish in the long run, although I don't think fly fishing is half as hard as it is often portrayed, the gear might be more important than other forms of fishing, don't know what you think about that, would you catch more fish?
I do with a bit of chub and the odd small wild trout, still exciting on any gear.