How

Tommo!

Reaction score
Picture the scene if you will.

I have been happily blanking whilst Pike, Roach, Tench infact everything fishing when my boss says to give fly fishing a bash.

Now he's a self confessed non expert but showed me the basics that he new and managed to get me the loan of some kit.

I managed to tweak out my first fluff caught rainbow. I think it felt sorry for me or was the sacrificial lamb to get me to stop thrashing the water every other cast.

So to cut a long story short I have been practicing in the garden with the new gear I bought and can't wait to go again.

Tommo!

Reaction score
I know, I'm a little embarrassed to tell the truth.

Does it count if I target coarse fish aswell or am I just in denial?

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
definitely in denial there Tommo lol......no need to be embarressed, fluff chucking requires just as much skill if not more.....I tried it once or twice and failed /forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

just carry on if you enjoy it and improve your skills /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

trev (100M bronze)

Reaction score
Actually I have some very large flies for pike and have always wanted to give it a go. Fly fishing for Pike, can you imagine the fight you would get........

Tommo!

Reaction score
Christened the new rod today with a Rainbow of 1/2 lb.

Fan-bloody-tastic.

The casting is improving (in my opinion) with one in five going as planned.

I think I'll go again tomorrow.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Keep at it Tommo, Im in a similar situation but Ive only managed to get on a trout water once so far but I have great fun catching perch on a couple of myhamfisted attempts to tie my own flies and beats getting weird looks from the neighbours when I was giving the lawn a thrashing /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Tommo!

Reaction score
I get the same looks Jim.

I replace the fly with one of the wife's spent fag filters.

Almost caught next door's cat.

Taking a fish off the surface is my favourite at the moment even though I know I will catch more with a buzzer.

My take on it is that if they are breaking the surface then they will take a fly. It seems to have worked so far and you can't beat the swirl at the fly for excitement.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
" . . . and you can't beat the swirl at the fly for excitement."

That is what keeps us going back time after time Tommo.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing.

Tight lines.