greys greyflex m2 SNAPPED!

Clodhopper

Reaction score
Mrs C snapped the last two centimetres of the tip of my Greys Greyflex m2 9.5' 6-7 wt. I have contacted Alnwick, only to be told that they don't stock that part anymore but will offer me a 'new replacement' at half price - £85. (I seem to recollect that the damaged rod cost £170 a decade ago, btw).

It's an old friend, the Greys rod. But I'm not sure what to do. Eighty-five sovs is still a not inconsiderable outlay and I could muddle along with an ancient Orvis 7 wt, in my possession. I could then wait to invest my money if and when I feel flush and / or see a raging bargain.

Suggestions and views would be much appreciated, especially from anybody who owns the replacement, which I think would be the 4 piece 1486410.

john step

Reaction score
Treat yourself. Half price offers dont come every day.

sam vimes

Reaction score
If you don't take up the offer, then Greys are unlikely to be able to do anything else for you. Rather than turning them down, you may be better served in taking it and selling. All the while keep your eyes peeled for a second hand Greyflex M2. If you are really lucky, there might even be someone out there that fancies a swap.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I think I might try refitting the tip ring on the shortened top and trying that first. I've done that a couple of times on fly rods and not really noticed much difference. In the meantime keep looking for a 2nd hand replacement.

That said....if this rod is the special one then maybe buying a new top is the answer BUT I've done that too and the rod in question was never quite the same and I ended up not using it.

Last edited:

bullet

Reaction score
Agree with s kippy, i doubt 2 cm will make much difference.just stick a new tip eye on.
I had a 9 ft rod which I snapped about 3 inches off, I put a new tip ring on and actually preferred it.
Wasn't that keen on it in the first place,mind.

hague01

Reaction score
along these lines, I wonder what my lifetime guarantee is worth from hardy on my two rods? I suspect the same response as you got from greys, offering one of theirs as an alternative.

sam vimes

Reaction score
along these lines, I wonder what my lifetime guarantee is worth from hardy on my two rods? I suspect the same response as you got from greys, offering one of theirs as an alternative.

The Hardy/Greys lifetime guarantee has been the same for a long time. Once the product was discontinued, you got until the spares ran out. After that, they offered an equivalent product at reduced cost. The only difference since Pure Fishing bought Hardy/Greys is that the product cycles are shorter and they don't keep anywhere near the number of spares. The current reality is that spares won't last much longer than the product being discontinued. Hardy/Greys used to keep spares going back years, it's part of the reason for the company failing.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Shame....I did have occasion to use my lifetime guarantee on a Hardy fly rod once and they rolled me a new top joint which was delivered in under a week. I doubt very much that would happen now.

As I understand it, all the manufacturing equipment was moved out to China many years back. The chances of someone at Alnwick making anything are pretty slim.

hague01

Reaction score
I can confirm that hardy have been using china for their blanks for the past 15 years or so, although the company is owned by a Korean I recall.I can get the name is anyone is interested.The company whose name I have forgotten also made the mk 1 blanks for JW young rods circa 2007 with the wooden reel seat( I have a collection of 9, all unused). The JWT mk 2 circa 2010 went over to cheaper blanks although having said that their price was less than 50% of the mk1 and some weren't bad at all.
I think the lifetime guarantee with hardy on my 2 rods means " Don't break it and it will last your lifetime". I believe all the old stocks have gone, I couldn't even get a replacement rod bag this year.

hague01

Reaction score
ps, on fly rods I was told they still use the same maker in china.