Carp fly freinds

Perch@2

Reaction score
Hello guys, yes I would like to make freinds regarding carp fly fishing. Share conversation and general points, I've coarse fished from young but last couple of years I was introduced to the fly. I'm also learning Pike fly fishing wishing to chat and learn.

Keith M

Reaction score
A few years ago I bought myself a fly rod, reel and fly line with the aim of using it for fishing for Carp after watching a video of John Wilson using a fly rod on his lake using chum mixers instead of flies.

However I never got around to trying it myself (and now never will) but it looks like it was great fun and John caught plenty of Carp up to double figures. I wouldn’t think of using this gear for larger Carp of over around 15lb though, especially in a Lilly strewn lake, although John Wilson might have handled them ok.

Keith

Last edited:

keora

Reaction score
Which Philipstown is it, County Louth or New York State?

I fly fish a lot for trout and grayling in a local river and a large reservoir. I can advise you on that if you like. As for fly fishing for carp, I've tried using a big fly with a clipped deer hair dressing so it looks a bit like a floating trout pellet - didn't fool the carp.

I've not bothered fishing for pike with fly because the rivers I fish have steep overgrown banks and deep margins. It's very difficult to do a back cast in those conditions without getting snagged.

Molehill

Reaction score
I am guessing you are not UK, not the ideal time of year to start targeting carp on the fly - basically surface fishing. Sure you could catch them but a lot of effort for small rewards. But if you wait till next summer it should be big regards for little effort.

Easy and fun way of catching carp, especially from well stocked lakes, basic and easy method.

Perch@2

Reaction score
I am guessing you are not UK, not the ideal time of year to start targeting carp on the fly - basically surface fishing. Sure you could catch them but a lot of effort for small rewards. But if you wait till next summer it should be big regards for little effort.

Easy and fun way of catching carp, especially from well stocked lakes, basic and easy method.

Molehill, a question that's in my head and I would like your or any advice, when fly carp fishing do you need to plumb the depth?

I know we're in lockdown but my fishing passion remains and always will. There is local Reservoir stocked with carp, so there I have three need.

Fish safe Neil ?

Molehill

Reaction score
No, all the fly fishing for them I do is on the surface in the warmer months. Mainly because it is quite exciting fishing by sight and watching the fish take the fly, then timing the strike to hook the carp - which is not as easy as it looks ?.
Nothing to stop you fishing at any depth including the bottom and using more imitation flies, but not the way I chose for some quick exciting sport.

Perch@2

Reaction score
Which Philipstown is it, County Louth or New York State?

I fly fish a lot for trout and grayling in a local river and a large reservoir. I can advise you on that if you like. As for fly fishing for carp, I've tried using a big fly with a clipped deer hair dressing so it looks a bit like a floating trout pellet - didn't fool the carp.

I've not bothered fishing for pike with fly because the rivers I fish have steovergrown banks and deep margins. It's very difficult to do a back cast in those conditions without getting snagged.
Sorry "keora" I don't know if I replied to your post. Phillipstown in South Wales (new Tredegar).

I generally enjoy Fly fishing and have recently started Pike fly fishing (its hard and lot to learn). But Hay Ho keep trying?

Fish safe and happy, Neil ?

keora

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I didn't know there was a town called Phillipstown in South Wales.

I've not been fishing for about 2 months, because of the new lockdown. Although you can go fishing, it's subject to the condition that it's close to where you live - but the rules don't define how far you can travel.

Have you had any pike on fly so far?

Reaction score
I have about 25 years experience in fly fishing for pike, and a bit less than that in tying pike flies. I'm happy to help if anyone needs advice.

I have fly fished for carp as well, but not seriously. As well as catching them on dog biscuit imitations made from clipped deer hair I have also caught them on trout flies (mainly nymphs). I think this is more challenging but ultimately more like 'real' fly fishing. The water I usually fish is shallow and the water clarity is poor because the carp churn up the bottom looking for food so I tend to try and cast towards visible signs of carp moving or feeding rather than fishing blind for them.

One thing I would add, and please forgive me if I'm stating the obvious, is the need for a rod with a decent amount of backbone. I have a couple of 10 wt. rods that are only 8 ft. long and have some serious lifting power (they were bought for fly fishing for big pike from a boat) . Carp will run a long way - and fast, especially in shallow water, which is great fun, but there's no point doing the difficult bit in hooking them, only to lose them through not being able to apply enough pressure to keep the hook hold secure at distance.

Last edited: