Innovative Fly Rod

John Keane

Reaction score
Thought I’d give this thread a little flush through to freshen it up a little.

My fly fishing these days is split three ways between salmon, river trout & grayling and a small club lake for rainbows. I use a 9ft Greys GR70 #5 for the small lake but it’s a bit short and overgunned for the river.

Saw an interesting rod from Wychwood, called Drift XL that starts off at 9ft 6in with a “dry fly action” but twisting and pulling the butt section of the blank extends the rod by 8” to 10’2” with a more forgiving “nymph action” bit like the twistlok on walking poles.

This definitely piqued my interest and I found out that it was £199 RRP with most places doing it for £139-149. Wasn’t convinced at that price but found it on Uttings for £79. No harm done in having a punt at that price so I ordered it and it was delivered by DHL in less than 24hrs.

I bought the #5 version to save having to buy new lines as well and took it out on Friday to the club lake. Absolutely knocked out by the casting performance and was consistently getting 25yds+ casts with a long-bellied Snowbee XL WF5, no mean feat on a dead calm day.

Not tried it at 10’2” yet but it should be fine since wet or dry fly fishing you rarely put out much more than 10yds and Czech Nymphing you have no virtually fly line outside the rod tip.

Clever idea and an improvement over the Greys Streamtec where there is a foot long extension hidden in the butt and the butt cap is unscrewed to access it.

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't know anything about fly fishing, so this mostly goes over my head. But I seem to remember TriCast doing a float rod that could be extended via a twist/lock fitting. Someone will probably know the details.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Greys Streamtec

It was the Streamflex Plus and G70 Streamflex Plus. Probably the only fly rods I've ever taken a blind bit of notice of, ever. I occasionally get daft notions about fluff chucking on the local river. However, I don't have any desire to get loads of gear for different scenarios. These rods seemed to fit the bill in that respect. I've been giving them a good coat of looking at for the better part of five years.

I seem to remember TriCast doing a float rod that could be extended via a twist/lock fitting. Someone will probably know the details.

There have been a few variations on the theme. Legacy Extender and Senator (XDS) Extender are a couple I've come across, but there may be others.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score
It was the Streamflex Plus and G70 Streamflex Plus. Probably the only fly rods I've ever taken a blind bit of notice of, ever. I occasionally get daft notions about fluff chucking on the local river. However, I don't have any desire to get loads of gear for different scenarios. These rods seemed to fit the bill in that respect. I've been giving them a good coat of looking at for the better part of five years.

There have been a few variations on the theme. Legacy Extender and Senator (XDS) Extender are a couple I've come across, but there may be others.

My mistake Sam, it is the Greys GR70 Streamflex Plus with the extension in the handle. Anything with “tec” at the end of its name is Airflo. Streamflex are Greys river rods and roughly double the price of the Wychwood Drift I bought. Not sure if the action on the Streamflex would be gutsy enough to handle a long belly line and give a long cast. Greys do superb rods though, their Platinum series fly rods will more than match any of the big American brands costing two or three times as much.

I had a Vision Keeper 9ft #5 and when using it on our small stillwater I would go for a cast of 20yds+ to cover a rise and, with the full belly of the line out on the back cast, the rod would “fold up”, overflex, line speed would be lost and it would all land in a heap.

If this Wychwood rod fulfils river and stillwater use without being heavily skewed toward either then I’ll be a happy bunny. So far it’s great for the stillwater fishing that I do.

bullet

Reaction score
It was the Streamflex Plus and G70 Streamflex Plus. Probably the only fly rods I've ever taken a blind bit of notice of, ever. I occasionally get daft notions about fluff chucking on the local river. However, I don't have any desire to get loads of gear for different scenarios. These rods seemed to fit the bill in that respect. I've been giving them a good coat of looking at for the better part of five years

You don't need loads of different gear, a 9ft 3 or 4 weight will do you admirably for all sorts of dry fly/ nymph applications on rivers.

John Keane

Reaction score
All I do nowadays, apart from salmon fishing, is a small club stillwater for rainbows and the Welsh Dee for trout and grayling. This Wychwood rod is the Holy Grail in that it does both brilliantly. I just bought a nice Sage #5/6 reel to put my Snowbee #5 floater on and that’s me set for fly fishing.