Line Memory

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Good morning all, Im a total novice in the art of fly fishing but Im hoping to chuck a line at Siblyback Res in Cornwall next week while Im on holiday. My fly gear hasnt been used for about 9 months and I noticed quite a bit of memory in the lines. Any suggestions how to remove it would be very helpful. I thought about laying it out on the grass and attaching a "spin doctor" and reeling it back, is it worth trying?

Cheers, Jim

S

Shrek

Hi Jim,

While that may work well for mono line on a spinnig reel, it's not too god for fly line.

The method I use is to strip the line off the reel, drop it into a bowl of warm water with a drop or two of detergent in it, leave it for a couple of minutes, then draw it out and dry it off. Before you wind it back onto the reel, give it a good stretch or steady pull, a few feet at a time. Once you've worked your way down the whole line, do it again. When you've done that, it should be nice and limp and lie fairly straight.

Then you can wind it back onto the reel.

The best way to get rid of memory in a line though is to get a fish on.

Hope this helps

Adrian

C

Colin North, the one and only

On the bank, as an alernative, get someone to hold the end of your line, walk away letting the line pull off the reel. When you get to the end, or as far as you are likey to cast, give it a good stretch by holding the reel, whilst your friend hangs on to the other end. If you are fishing alone, tie the tippet to something and do the same thing.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on removing the memory from my lines and I though Id let you know how I got on my second ever serious fly fishing session. I fished at Siblyback Res. in Cornwall while I was on holiday. It was very windy on my first visit and I struggled to get a line out, the only sheltered spot was already "taken" so not surprisingly I blanked. Second time there was better but still windy, I fished from opposite the car park and more sheltered. I used a slow sinking line and fished Black Gnat and Black Buzzer and took 2 Brownies of about 1/2 to 3/4lb which went back in safely . I then switched to a Montana and had my first Rainbow! 2 1/4lb
smiley.gif

Sorry no pics but its a very nice water and Im sure would have been better if it wasnt for the cold wind.

Fin the Fish

Reaction score
Nice one Jim! Catching two wild brownies on your second outing is no easy feat, and a nice rainbow too. Its good to hear we have a new convert to the art, dont forget you can catch everything with a fly, not just trout!

Tight lines matey /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Thanks Fin, I,ll be keeping the fly tackle in my car all the time now, handy to try for a couple of carp off the top at the club lake /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gifand where I work there is an outfall into the GUC that is stuffed with chub so I might try having a dabble for them too /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

The Monk

Reaction score
we had a problem over line memory in our local tackle shop,the ownerwas a doddery old geezer who could never remember where he had put the line