Now That's What I Call Fun!

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Slipped out for an afternoons trouting today, to a fishery thats in a very ancient woodland valley and therefore sheltered from todays gale force winds.

Had a few during the afternoon on buzzers fished deep and slow but from about 5pm, there was an ever increasing mayfly hatch. The trout went mad! My problem was that I only had a total of six dry flys in three boxes! Fortunately all were mayfly, three standard and three bright green! No floatant and a sinking leader didn't help either. But for around two hours Ihad a whale of a time hitting and missing a lot of beautiful slow gentle rises.

I literally lost count of the fish I landed let alone those I missed. The six flys very quickly got mullered and stripped to bits but I made each one last as long as possible, taking quite a few fish just under the surface film.

Spectacular sport and great fun.

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Mayfly hatch can be a lot of fun.

I was on my local lake yesterday evening but no sign of a hatch, and the wind was a b*tch.

When the Trout are 'on' the mayfly you cannot have enough choices in your fly box - so, get tying or buying Neil.

S

Sean Meeghan

Blimey it's a nother month before we get them up here!