Fly Dressing Innovations

dezza

Reaction score
Many years ago, to be honest during the 70s, I caught a fairly large wolf spider in my garden using a beer glass and a piece of cardboard. I transferred the spider to a jam jar, knocked a few holes in the lid and kept it in the boot of my car.

You see I had an idea.

There are several species of wolf spider in South Africa and this was one of the biggest with a body of about 1 inch long and a leg span of about 3 inches. They are wandering hunters and whilst they will bite, the poison is no more dangerous than a bee sting.

The following weekend I went trout fishing to my club water about 160 miles away just beyond a small town called Belfast. I arrived at the farm and pulled up alongside Dam 1 as we called it to see if I could see any fish rising. The wind was blowing from the shore and I thought of the spider. It was still alive as I emptied it on the surface of the water. It floated out it's legs flailing in all directions in the surface film. It had gone about 20 yards from shore when there came a tremendous swirl and a noise which sounded like a "chomp". The spider was gone.

The other night I had a dream about this very spider. It appeared in my tiny garden in Rotherham. I grabbed a beer glass and captured it. Instead of me feeding it to a trout, the spider grew to an enormous size and started to attack me.

I woke up in a sweat.

But I went down to my fly tying bench and proceeded to create a fair imitation of that spider using spun deer hair, cree hackles and knotted flexi-floss for the legs. It looks the ticket and next time I go trout fishing, which hopefully will be tomorrow, I'll give it a twirl.

Don't ask me to put up a picture of this spider, it looks too realistic and I don't want PJ having a heart attack.

If I catch a trout on it, I will give it a name. Maybe Tegenaria or Septimus or Shelob.

Or I just might name it after More Spiders himself.

:D

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Thats the beauty about tying Ron, you can tweek patterns or create new ones.
I once put a spiders ball into a water butt, full of little siders, no matter what I tried I could not sink them and they ended up all over the place. Instead of going for big spiders out of deer hair and grizzle, try some small ones out of CDC, a material I'm toying with at pressent.

dezza

Reaction score
When you are a fly tyer, you become a complete angler in every respect. A cat walking down the street or even an interesting breed of dog takes on a whole new interest to the fanatical fly dyer. A friend of mine has a husky which has the most incredible fur. When that dog is asleep I will attack it with scissors!!

The most interesting and unusual material I ever used for tying a fly was the fur from a dead baboon spider. I would not recommend it as it can get into your skin, eyes or via a mucus membrane into your body.

But certainly brown and rainbow trout and American bass will eat spiders. I have seen rainbow trout taking water spiders.

I have decided that I shall call my spider series of flies - Shelobs, in honour of one of my favourite South Africans: JRR Tolkien.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Buy a "Zoom-Groom", Ron, it's a grooming brush made of high-friction rubber. It hauls hair out of cats and dogs - and they love you for it - no bites, no angry owners.

(And no corny gags about "'e's shorn all the 'air off my pussy"...)

Don't try it on a stoat, though, and seek professional advice (Monk, you there?) before trying it out on a ferret...

keora

Reaction score
Ron, I thought the dream was interesting, you don't get many on this site and it was all very Freudian. I wonder what it meant?

Do you miss South Africa?

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
Ron, Ive recently started "trying" to tie flies. Ive got a Russian Blue cat and we,ve got a gadget called a "furminator" for grooming him, the underfur that comes off him makes an excellent grey dubbing. My grandkids have got a couple of guinea pigs and a long haired hamster, they,ll be getting the treatment too. Oops

dezza

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the dream told me not to ill treat spiders.

I wonder what sort of dreams PJ gets?

I did try Shelob by the way and the trout didn't want to know. However my Daddy Longlegs is another story.;)

NT

Reaction score
No Ron, it should be called Aragog - your fly was born in the UK!
Saw some ages ago made by Foxon of St Asaph with black deer hair and knotted peacock herl - much better to use flexifloss.
Neil.

dezza

Reaction score
Tolkien, being a student of ancient languages also gave spiders other names.

"Lazylob"and "Attercop" come to mind. Both names similar to those used in ancient Anglo-Saxon I believe. He became obsessed with spiders after he was bitten by a baboon spider in the garden of his home in Bloemfontein when quite young. Baboon spiders are quite large and hairy, but the venom is not very potent.

I think trout eat more spiders than we imagine. Waterspiders are quite common on some waters and a good imitation could be very effective.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Ron, Ive recently started "trying" to tie flies. Ive got a Russian Blue cat and we,ve got a gadget called a "furminator" for grooming him, the underfur that comes off him makes an excellent grey dubbing. My grandkids have got a couple of guinea pigs and a long haired hamster, they,ll be getting the treatment too. Oops

Cat underfur is really really good dubbing. I had an old ginger tom whose pinkish underfur made superb and ghostly nymphs

dezza

Reaction score
All you have to do is brush the cat and you will have enough fur for dubbing to do you for a few flies.

My next door neighbour years ago had a weird looking little dog I've forgotten the name of. She took it to the doggy shop for a clip and brought back a handfull of hair that looked quite good.

I tied several dry flies using this hair for the bodies.

It worked.

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Should have tied some Dog Nobblers with it. Arf arf. I used the underfur from my old ginger tom, which was incredibly fine. It worked brilliantly on size 16s and smaller because it was so easy to dub on v small hooks.

Tony Stevens

Reaction score
Spiders: A N.Z. Pattern

A spider pattern that I make will only sink when a fish takes it. It is made of Black neoprene cut to shape for the body and head, slotted with a craft knife underneath to fit the hook into and stuck on with superglue. Legs are the rubber strands from a waste length of bungy cord coloured with a felt pen.
Large seems to get more strikes and I tie mine on grub hooks #12 & 10: simple to tie and effective during the summer months on running or still water.
:w

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Good thread Ron

I wanted to add to your reputaion but it appear I've got to spread some reputaion about before I can increase yours again - what's that about:mad:

Last edited:

dezza

Reaction score
Lovely pictures of spiders there Shane.

I like the raft water spider.

We must issue a warning to PJ not to visit this thread.

Personally I like spiders!