Big trout with fly?

Fast Catch

Reaction score
Hey,

I have recently had my first fly fishing lesson and it seemed to be a off day regarding catching as the trout weren't that interesed.

Now, My question is. Do flies catch big trout? I've only ever fished them on worm many years back so I'm clueless on this.

The place I was at I could see the fish as it was a very clear pond and they looked decent. The guy that was teaching me was brilliant and getting right near the fish constantly(very decent) and in a way seemed frustrated at the fact they weren't interested.

I'm guessing, It was just a off day?

dezza

Reaction score
Hey,

I have recently had my first fly fishing lesson and it seemed to be a off day regarding catching as the trout weren't that interesed.

Now, My question is. Do flies catch big trout? I've only ever fished them on worm many years back so I'm clueless on this.

The place I was at I could see the fish as it was a very clear pond and they looked decent. The guy that was teaching me was brilliant and getting right near the fish constantly(very decent) and in a way seemed frustrated at the fact they weren't interested.

I'm guessing, It was just a off day?

Of course they do; but first you must establish what a big trout is. Trout are judged in a different way to coarse fish. For example in some waters a 1 lb brown might be the fish of a lifetime whilst in others it is a tiddler.

But if you are talking of brown trout - then I could write a book about catching the bigger ones on the fly. From a certain weight, brown trout develop a tendency to eat small fish, including their own species. Therefore you are looking to use flies that suggest or even imitate small fish. At the moment I am hunting the huge trout I know exist in a small reservoir just north of Sheffield. I have had some success and I have seen one that looked all of 12 lbs and was probably more. It grabbed the 1 pound rainbow I was bringing to the net!

To catch these leviathans demands a different approach to the normal fly fishing methodology. You must locate these big fish and that in most cases means fishing deep. The ability to cast long distances will help considerably.

I have been fortunate in my life in having caught a few big brown trout on the fly, most of them not in England.

There are two types of rainbow trout, those that are stocked at large sizes that have came from the fish farm and have been pellet fed, and those that have grown out in the water naturally after being stocked at a small size. Most fly fishers would rather catch a 4lb grown on fish than a 15 pound stocky. That goes for me too.

To catch the big grown on fish is more a matter of locating them then using any particular method, as most flies which catch small rainbows will also catch the big ones. Let me know what sort of water you will be fishing and I will attempt to give you a tip or two.