New Tackle advice

Muffin

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've just joined a new club around Bath (well from next year) and along with some coarse fishing which is my main type of fishing I've done in my past they also have access to a lot of beautiful small brooks and streams. Stocked with browns and some rainbows, I must take advantage of this to get the most out of my membership!

I have done a little fly fishing and have a rod and some old lines and reels, but its always been on lakes, so am really uncertain about what tackle I may need to get for fishing these new venues?

Any advice is greatly received, regarding rod/s, flies and lines.

I'm going to try fishing the dry fly as well as nyphms etc. On small streams would you recommend taking a floating and sinking line, or will just a floating line do? Do you need different leaders to fish a dry fly?

Any more info needed please let me know.

Thanks in advance :)

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Hi Miffin.
What equipment do you already have? You may find that you only need to replace the fly line. You can use the same leaders, though you are better of with fluorcarbon as this sinks, just use plenty of floatant on the dry fly. If you use mono, you may have to use a sinkant ie, fuller earth/leada sink, otherwise any floating leader near the fly will put the fish of.
Size/length of rod and line weight depends on the size of brooks/steams/rivers or lake/pond that you are going to fish.
Flies depends on time of year and natural fly life of the water. Get a good book, Pat O'Reilly "Matching The Hatch" is a good starter for both rivers and lakes.

Muffin

Reaction score
The rod I have at the moment is about 10ft I believe and not sure on the weight but was bought for lake fishing.

The streams and brooks are small, but they also have access to larger rivers, but these are mainly coarse fishing so I guess the shortest rod possible will be best.

Do you match weight of fly line to the rod?

Some lines are heavier that others which aids casting, but I guess as you dont have to cast a grear distance a heavy line is not required.

I will need to buy a new rod, so need to decide length and weight of line. this is probably where I need some advice.

The club I'm joining is on the link if its any use to gauge the size of the venues:

Avon & Tributaries Angling Association

Thanks again

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
From the photos on their web site, for the rivers I would go for a rod of about 8ft with line rate of 4/5. ATFM or marked #4 or #5.
All fly rods should have matching line weight marked on them. A heavy line on a light rod won't work and a light line on a heavy rod doesn't work either. Its all about balance, with correct balance of rod to line weight you get the maximum out of both. For the rivers I would go with a double tapered line, you will only need a floating line. If you need to get down to any fish, then use weighted nymphs such as Czech nymphs or beadheads. For this Czech nymph fishing you may be better using your 10 ft rod as you don't cast as such, you use the length of the rod and reach out with same. There is more to it but it is basic.
For any lakes, get a weight forward line to match your 10ft rod, weight forward line makes it easier to get distance but lacks the accuracy of a double taper.

dezza

Reaction score
From what I know of this area, you will need to get a 7 1/2 to 8 foot rod as Wobbly says, something that will throw a weight 4 or 5 line. Don't be afraid to use the heavier fly line if you only need to cast short distances. This will help make the rod work.

And here's a money saving tip, get a floating double taper line and cut it in half, splicing it to about 30 yards of braided backing. I doubt, knowing the rivers and streams there that you will ever have to cast more than 12 yards and this will enable you to use as light a reel as possible.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt, knowing the rivers and streams there that you will ever have to cast more than 12 yards and this will enable you to use as light a reel as possible.

In which case why not think about a 7'6" to 8' 3/4# rod?

Much more fun to play fish on, and casting appears not to be a problem, and at those sort of distances then the sort of line you are recommeding will work even a 3/4# rod.

Having looked at the pictures, and for similar sections of the Upper Hampshire Avon I have a lovely old Normark Gold Medallion 3/4# rod and that suits perfectly well.