Pellets

D

Darren Russell

Im going to buy some new flies just before i go fishing.

D

Denis Goulding

darren,
Ok u are going to a stocked water.
Here are some sure bet fly's..

Intermediate line 10 foot leader.

Gold head damsel.
Gold head orange fritz.
Gold head black tadpole.
Flys on intermediate either slow retrieve or a stop start jerky retrieve with pauses..

Floating line 12 foot leader

Black buzzer
Gold head hares ear.
Gold head pheasant tail.
Orange shrimp.

Fly's on floating line slow retrieve.

Fast Sinking line 5 foot leader

Black booby.
Orange booby
White booby.
Minky booby.

Fly's t6o be brought back on a slow retrieve, very slow or a jerky retrieve with good pauses up to 10 seconds..

There u are.
Should help u out a bit, if u stick to these patterns on a stocked water u will surely catch fish..

REgards,
Denis..

D

Darren Russell

Thanx my real got abit tangeled and i dont no how to change the spool on my reel its a shakespear professional.
does any 1 now how.

D

Darren Russell

How much do you think it will cost for a 4lbs leader and 7lbs fly line.

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
One of the greatest flies of all time, the Killer Bug, tied by Swayer represents little more than a maggot in some people's opinion. Egg flies tied ina brown colour will represent pellets, and newly stocked fish (within 24 hours) will take these as pellets. Question the ethics but some people do it.

Darren, I can supply you with some spools of leader at ?2.99 each. E-mail me or reply if interested.

Regards

Chris

D

Darren Russell

Hia i went fishing on Monday at Tree tops fishery in wrexham. I had a great day I caught a rainbow trout and foul hooked a baby Brown trout. I also caught my ear.

R

Ross Turner

Im glad you enjoyed it,so are you going to regular to get the practice.

D

Darren Russell

Yeah i will probably go next in 4 weeks due to a broken wrist.

colin mair

Reaction score
as an inexperienced angler i would like to know when and how to fish with buzzers,
slow, figure of eight,long pulls or static and let the wind drift them.
each method will have its own supporter
i have never had any success with them

C

Colin North, the one and only

Hi Colin,

Each of the methods you mention will work on their day. There are no hard and fast rules relating to fishing, and conditions will differ from day to day depending on a number of factors (weather, light, wind etc). As for when to fish buzzers, I would say they certainly could work from March onwards, as son as the water warms a smidgen. In Ireland what we call buzzers are known as Duck Flies and the locals certainly fish them from March onwards.

At this time of the year (June/July) it is always worth trying the static method, even trying some kind of strike indicator, because sometimes the takes may be difficult to spot. If you use a team of buzzers, try putting a quite large one on the point, size 10 or bigger.

Also, try the floating version like a Ginked up Shipman's Buzzer. Personally I don't think the floating method requires much consideration regarding the colour of the buzzer, black being the easiest to see if you're fishing in open water.

Finally you will see that there are a miriad of colours to choose from but Black, Red and Green will be your main ones.

Good luck.

Colin North

D

Darren Russell

Hia,
Could anyone suggest any other accesories for fly fishing apart from the fly reel,rod,line,leader and backing.
I need a trout bag.
Priest.
Landing net.
ect.

R

Ross Turner

The most important tool if you are keeping fish is a Marrowspoon,this lets you find out what the fish has been eating.Forceps are also useful as well as a pair of polariods.

D

Darren Russell

I am going fishing soon..
but I need almost all the kit exept rod and reel due to different circumstances. How cheap do you think i can get these things.
trout bag
landing net
backing
fly line
and a fly box.big and small.
It is only for one session then i will buy new ones and use them as spares any ideas.

D

Dave Rothery

marrow spoons have always intrigued me....if you have caught on a montana nymph(lol!) and the trout is full of bloodworm, what do you use?

M

michael rouse

My first big browny was on a mepps size one trout spinner but float fishing with expanders havnt produced any trout.

C

Colin North, the one and only

You can get a cheap line and backing for about a tenner. Landing net might be a bit more though. Use your pockets for your trout bag (take a plastic bag for your catch) and virtually any container from 35mm film canisters, fag packets or any suchklike to keep a few flies in. If you decide you like fly fishing, then go out a spend a few bob.

My own recommendation would be to buy a top quality floating line, something like Cortland or Aircel but don't worry so much with the quality of any sinking line you buy. Sinking lines do what they do; sink, no matter how much you pay for them, but not all floating lines float. The better quality ones do.

Wychwood make some nice trout bags.

Fox Boxes are great for smaller flies but you could spend a small fortune on boxes for dry flies with little compartments inside that have individual lids (made by Richard Wheatley)

I'm afraid that like most hobbies (and I have too many) once you get hooked on a particular thing, it will invariably mean that you spend loadsamoney.

Hope you catch.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Buzzers? Buzzers?

I have often collected some of these chironomid pupae, put them to my ear and never heard them buzz yet.

Why are they not called what they are: Midge or chironomid pupae?

Some people actually call them buzzer nymphs.

How strange.