Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The best knots

Ron Clay Guest

For tying droppers I've used the three turn water knot for years. However I do thing there are better ways of doing it. Also tying on flies. I used the grinner for this with very few problems. However with fluorocarbon I have slipped back into the habit of tying a standard 5 turn half blood with no tuck. I've tested this knot on Fluorocarbon and its very sound.
    Comments anyone?

When tying line to line I found a loop to loop best with fluoro. And when I first got hold of some fluoro two or three years ago from well known rod builder Tony Fordham he'd found that a standard blood knot was best for tying to hooks and swivels. So it looks like you could be doing the right thing there Ron.

Rob Brownfield Guest

Ron, I am the same as you, except I still use a grinner, but with only 3 turns.

aiden kennedy Guest

for droppers the three turn water knot is very satisfactory with fluorocarbons

Trout & Salmon ran an article on nylons, knots, monos etec. etc. by John Maitland & Dick Stephens. Well worth a read if you get the back issue! Sorry can't remember the issue number [like most things these days], give Emap aring.

Colin

David OLoughlin Guest

The article is March 1998 (doesn't time fly) page 70 - 73.
    I haven't time right now to go through their reccomendations, but someone remind me if you are interested & I forget.
    Cheers
    Dave