The FM Fly Fishing Fish-in

• Thread starter Ron Troversial Clay
  • Start date
R

Ron Troversial Clay

The FM trout fish in is to be held on Saturday 3rd April at the Press Manor fishery near Chesterfield.

This is a lovely Victorian small reservoir situated in the A632 on the Chesterfield Matlock road. I will post details of how to get there when I learn how to put a link to a map. (See below)

The reservoir is well marked from the A632 and is on the road to Wingerworth.

This will be the order of the day's entertainment:

9-00 am, meet at the caravan for coffee.

9-30, proceed to the lake to catch trout. Those who have never cast a fly or are looking for a bit of tuition will only have to ask. I will do a short demo on casting and rigging tackle and will spend time giving individual casting tuition.

The first nice trout - say about 11/2 lb will be cooked by yours truly at the side of the water. This will be done to explode the myth that many of you have that trout taste horrible.

1-00 pm lunch and a fly tying demo by yours truly and Fly Dresser's Guild member Andy Wright. A number of killing patterns will be tied.

2-00 pm back to the lake and more fishing. Myself and Bernie as well as the more experinced amongst us will do all we can to make sure you catch a fish or three.

It will be a great day out make no mistake. The Monk will be on hand dressed in his habit with his incredibly expensive camera to record the event for the website.

Hope to see you all at this momentous occasion.

Situated between Chesterfield and Matlock on the A632.

Chesterfield 4 miles, Matlock 3 miles, Derby 25 miles.

Follow the signposts off the A632 to the fisheries.

Click here for the Press Manor Fishery website.

Click here for a map to the fishery.

chef

Reaction score
Ron is ther a train station nearby as i don't drive and would love to come along i live in worcestershire (malvern) and the train service is pretty good

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Chesterfield is the nearest station which is on the main line to Sheffield from Derby and the South.

The lake is about 15 minutes taxi ride from Chesterfield.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Oh by the way, The Monk will be granting blessings and absolutions at discounted prices. Only a tenner.

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
Hi Ron,
I have only just picked up on this thread. Have searched previous threads but did not pick up on anything in relation to this.
Where is the event and on what date.
If it isn't too far from Leicestershire and I have time off uni I would like to come along.

Cheers

Chris

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

As you know Ron I'll be going ......

R

Ron Troversial Clay

To get a map, go to google and look up Press Manor Fishery.

There is also a lake containing carp. It is not a toy carp lake as there are several fish over 20lbs and a couple over 30 lbs I am told.

They can be caught on traditional methods.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

I am going there on Sunday, mainly to chart the route a little better and to have a chat to Bernie.

I will also try and catch a trout on my new Snowbee Line which is waiting for me at the main PO in Rothers.

T

tom riordan

I would like to come to to the fishin as well, I am a total novice at fly fishing. I received a fly fishing outfit for an xmas present and I havent had the bottle to use it yet. Looking forward to meeting everyone. I live near Derby so if anyone needs a lift get in touch and I will sort it for you.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

By the way Chef (what's your real name)?

If you can give me your ETA at Chesterfield Station, I will pick you up.

Email me.

S

si

would love to go its a bit nearer than the ribble for me i am in notts if i can pick anyone up from train stations bus stations ect let me know

R

Robert Draper

D'OH! I would have been there like a shot but I'm also supposed to be at the OS Outdoors Show at the NEC, catering for the 4 Inns walk, competing at the Sheffield Triples Wargames show and watching the Nottingham Panthers win the Elite League Ice Hockey Playoffs.

Can cruel fate pack anything more into just one weekend in April...

I'll be there for the next one if you have one hopefully.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
All being well I'll be there Ron. Will know for sure soon.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Apologies to Ron, Ed and even me; I've done some editing, deleting, cutting and pasting of various messages to clarify the whole thread.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
See Ron's opening post to this thread for full details, map, etc.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Thanks Graham you are a star.

I've just got back from a short session at Press Manor. Damned cold - I fished till my hands gave in and I can't wear gloves when I'm fly fishing.

Five fish up to 21/4 lbs in less than ideal conditions, including a brownie of about 2 lbs which looked an absolute picture of a fish. Spent some time talking to Bernie Maher the owner, mainly about cricket, rugby and SA. He was a bit put out that England lost to Ireland yesturday.

I also said a few words to Deiter, Bernie's massive German Shepherd. He's a real softy actually although Bernie mentioned something about Scousers.....

Seriously, the lake looks lovely and is just about to receive a stocking of 300 rainbows.

If we get some milder weather and rain in the next couple of weeks, the buzzers should start and the lake will be in tip top condition for our fish-in.

Come and have a great day out.

And by the way I cannot praise my new Snowbee line more. Definitely the best floating line I have ever used!

And it's made in England chaps. Bernie also had a cast with my line and fell in love with it.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Don't know if you know Ron, but Snowbee lines are made for them by Shakespeare.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

There was a lot of Snowbee stuff at that Shakespeare warehouse we went to in Holland if you remember Graham ..........

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Shakespeare have their own fly line manufacturing plant in Redditch and actually make lines for a lot of flyfishing companies who stick on their own labels. It's quite amusing when I hear someone say that so and so's line is much better than the cheaper line like Shakespeare's. "But what do you expect when it costs twice as much," they'll say, not knowing they could be refering to the same line with a different label and a different price tag.

R

Ron Troversial Clay

By the way Graham, I get the feeling that Shakespeare may be making for a certain Rotherham based fly fishing company. I have used a couple of their lines, mainly floaters and that have not been too good.

Not very slick and in one case, a memory like a corkscrew.

However, one of them, a cheaper line was brilliant and I had to replace it with the Snowbee as it has worn out.

There is no doubt that you can get the odd rubbish line, even from a top name.

Its all about quality control. The best and most expensive lines have excellent QC and QA, but with the amount of lines that are manufactured daily for one of the worlds most popular sports, it's not surprising that some rubbish lines get through and when they do; and they have only to get to a review journalist in the angling press, and the product's reputation can be ruined.

I purchased a new Snowbee line, not only on the recommendation of a leading fly fishing magazine, but on the refernces provided in this web site.