rotary whip finisher

chef

Reaction score
hi do any of you use one of these as it is driving me mad , one hook on a rigid arm one on a sprung arm i can do it with the finger method of finishing but bought the tool to speed things up and make a tidier finish but i can't get the hang of it
please any info

R

Ron Troversial Clay

These awful devices are a total waste of time.

I will show you how to do a whip finish neatly by hand, far better and quicker.

There is only one place for a whip finish tool and that is in the bin.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Score so far :

1 for
1 against

and 1 very puzzled chef .......

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
Whip finishing tools are a hell of a lot quicker than doing it by hand. You can also make heads much neater in my opinion.
The problem is getting to terms with how to use it, then it is simple.
If you haven't got to grips with it by the 3rd bring it along and I will show ya.
I believe there are some video clips on the internet somewhere of how to use it, I will try and have a search through and find the link.

Chris

R

Ron Troversial Clay

Well I reckon in terms of time and neatness, I can equal, if not beat a whip finish tool any day.

So there...... ;o[

R

Ross Turner

Are you setting a challenge Ron for Chris,You could both tie a fly at the fishin & the other members can vote which head is finnished best.

R

Robert Draper

Nip into Waterstones and have a look in the Fly-tyers Bible by Peter Gathercole, it has some instructions that I learned from. I can sort of do it by hand but the whip finish tool works every time for me as opposed to 1 in 3 for the finger and thumb.

Besides which, fishing is about the accumulation of fishing tackle, if you can make a special thingummy to do it why use your hand (that probably sounded rude)...

Chris Cook

FM Trade Member
Reaction score
If you have 'mastered' a technique either by using your hands or a whip finish tool then there is no reason why one should be better or worse than the other. It is the same technique and the same basic method. If you master one then it will suffice.

Swings and roundabouts

Chris

R

Ron Troversial Clay

And I prefer me bloody hands.

I can control them better...... :eek:)

It is only recently that I have used a bobbin holder and I have been tying flies since I was about 17 I think.

But let's agree to disagree on this one and the last thing I am going to do at my time ofr life is to learn to use something I don't need.

J

jason fisher

same thing just spelled diffrent.

I think my fly tying kits may have arrived today something did that wouldn't go throught the letterbox so parcel force took it away again the sods

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

same thing just spelled diffrent.

??? Hardly Jason

Pedal = (n) a lever you press with your foot

peddle = (v)to sell or offer for sale