The Otter

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
If anyone here has ever doubted the dedication of the FM team (unlikely) consider this: that shot of the stream is genuine - it ain't any old stream! Furthermore, it was taken last week specifically for this article! I propose a toast...

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Been there done that, got the scars, otter...nah it was a big rat!!!:D

It's the self same River Ingrebourne,of my childhood, a tributary of the Thames, most of which is now culverted, around the 'ill anyway .

Those were the day's,thanks Cliff

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Cliff, stop loosing sleep over it mate, it was part of your growing up experience. I had a similar, if not worse experience. We used to go rabbiting with snares, find a hole and stake a wire noose to catch em. We found a huge hole one day and I set my snare attatched to a very sturdy root. We came back the next day, it was a mess, the snare was gone. Then we realised what was living down the hole.....

It was a badger set :(

I stopped rabbiting after that.....

We were kids and learnt a lot. I don't lose sleep over it, three decades on, but I'll never forget it!

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
I was on the Ouse last night - blanking. Not a soul about; calm, warm, remote, but - blanking. I remembered my previous trip, last season, when I got talking to an elderly chap. He told me how the stretch used to be 'fantastic'...chub, barbel, bream...loads of them. 'But now...?' he had said 'eff-all. You're lucky to get anything...what with them otters all over the place'. Well, I'D never seen an otter on this stretch or any other stretch of the Ouse.

Just as it got dark last night, an otter swam into my swim and looked at me! Unperturbed, it swam back upstream and to the near bank, there to collect his spouse and kid...together, the three swam around before my very eyes then made their way downstream. I could still see them in the remaining light, 150 yds away.

I gave it another hour but the rods nodded not. Feeling despondent, I packed up and drove the 100 miles back home again. An expensive 3 hrs fishing! I still feel bad about the childhood otter but...my general feelings for them are changing - just a bit.