Will’s Day Out at Avington

Morespiders

Reaction score
Ragged, frankly, ugly creations, yer, they work though Maidment, how many do you want,?:D well done Will, glad you had a good day

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
Nice stuff :)

I'm going to have a day down there as soon as the hot weather fades out. Any more tips for catching the biggies are welcomed!

frippe

Reaction score
lovely read.

Its my 30th at the end of the month and I was thinking of going for day to Avington, its a toss up between that and a few days on hunts corner. Reading this has only wet my appetite for a monster trout some more.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Nice stuff :)

I'm going to have a day down there as soon as the hot weather fades out. Any more tips for catching the biggies are welcomed!

Avington is one of those venues not particularly affected by very hot weather. I suppose its because its fed by the Itchen and various springs that the water temperature is pretty consistent. The weed growth is incredibly luxurient, especially the middle lake, but don't be put off. I have lost some fish if they dive into the thick stuff but invariably they sprint across the top of it! My heaviest fish from there (18lbs+) spent a lot of time out of the water and creating huge bow waves across the lake as it visited most parts at speed! This from a lake I've heard some describe as "unfishable"!

The key factor for me is fish your fly at the correct depth. The crystal clear water makes depth perception very tricky. You see your chosen fish, cast to it and find its long gone before your fly gets down there. Tungsten weighted flys do the business (everyone has their favourite). I usually fish with small weighted Stalking Bugs of various colours (black/orange being a favourite) but the key is I know how fast they sink (on 7lb/9lb Incognito leaders) and fish accordingly.

Also, when I say "cast", usually it means "drop it on their head or intercept their route at close range"! The vast majority of doubles have come from within a couple of rod lengths, often inside a rod length right in the margins. If you're heavy footed, all you'll see is the bow wave of the departing fish! It might come back though - maybe in 5 minutes - maybe in 5 hours!

Get down there, spoil yourself!

IMG_6654.jpg

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Keep showing pictures like that Neil and even I'll want to buy some fly tackle again!

I've been playing around with Photoshop and created a triptych, I added it to the end.

files.php

Hope people like it, I might do more of these creative photos.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I like the effect of those! I keep meaning to "invest" in Photoshop but never quite got round to it.

I have been playing around with slide shows and at the risk of seeming sycophantic but adding to your temptation to visit a tackle shop....

have a look at these (none of which have been "photoshopped") ;):

Flixtime - Quality Fish From Avington

:cool:

Gary Cullum

Reaction score
Lovely day out and great article.. and super top up advice Neil. I think you have whetted, and almost wetted, a few appetites. Thanks. Gary

frippe

Reaction score
looks like quite a few people wouldnt mind trying their luck at Avingtion. There could be the makings of a FM meet at this rate.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yes Cakey (nudge nudge wink wink).

Avington corporate days are superb but in any event I will happily organise a group outing just with normal day ticketing (2 or 4 fish is the norm - more if you're feeling flush!) if demand exists. In any case if anyone fancies a trip, let me know, I don't need too much persuassion to go.

I am biased towards Avington (in preference to Dever and other big fish venues), it's just such a good set up now, in great surroundings and with very fit fish. They really are solid fighting fish and taste great too. My (the wife's) freezer is pretty full!

The really big ones are not that easy, as Will and I ably demonstrated, but they are there to be chased. But occassionally they are very easy! As mentioned, a few weeks ago I had a 16 and a 15 within an hour of starting (spotted two fish, cast twice!) and then added a 13 later in the day. An exceptional day.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
A good read Neil, a pity the big boys didn't come out to play. Many thanks to both yourself and Neil for supporting the charity event.