The Great Hygiene Con.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I'll own uo

I take a packet of hand wipes when I'm going to be eating whilst fishing - It may mena another tree gets the chop but at least I'm not sitting on a rubber ring for a week with an ar$ehole like the Janapses flag

Lark

Reaction score
Great peice Cliff - never more truer words written. My personal favourite is the ridiculous notion of buying a battery powered anti-bacterial hand-soap dispenser that you don't have to touch. This is a great idea, provided of course that you never, ever touch anything else, ever again!

Reaction score
I have little bottles of the antiseptic handwash stuff they use in hospitals in all my fishing bags. Don't go for the cheaper brands which tend to have little antiseptic and lots of floral pong which can/does flavour your bait.

Why. firstly it is rather nice to have ones Stilton and Carr's Water Biscuits not heavily scented with the sweet pong of Source or Chilli and Tuna. (Eating tip - if one is eating Liver Sausage sandwiches and fishing maggot there is no need to use the gel -both share an identical aroma!!)

Secondly -if you do get a nick,cut, drive your hook into your finger a la Lunghi Jim etc. Weils disease is always a risk - the gel reduces that risk.

However Cliff in terms of life in general you are spot on.....bring on the winter!! And a bit of good honest mud and dirt!

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don't get me started... we talk about this at home frequently especially when we bother to watch the adverts.

Could have almost written the self same thing myself, well written Cliff, keep taking the anti-biotics...now that's another story!!:mad:

and when did showering or having a bath everyday become compulsory?

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Yes, there is an awful lot of hype over this. I have never understood why, if you go to a hospital, they have all this super dooper hand washing/sanitizing equipment in the toilets and bins that open with foot pedals, yet the door opens inwards so you have to grab hold of the thing that the last dirty b*stard who didn't wash their hands has just handled, weird eh.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
When I was a sort of Nurse (well I still am), there was non of this hand gel kills all known germs dead thingy attached to walls and dripping all over the floor for people to slip on. We used good ol hibby scrub (pink colour and still going) which dried your hands out no end leaving you with chapped hands or dermititus.
What better way of eating your sarnies after baiting chopped worm freshly dug from manure heap that morning on your way fishing.
Hand towel to dry your hands on caked up and stiff with old groundbait not been washed for years.
I do take hand cleaning gel that kills 95% or is it 99.9% of all known germs. Them last few that don't die are sodding killers.

Great stuff again Cliff.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Bit of dirt doesn't hurt anybody....but that doesn't mean you have to be dirty!

I always carry gel with me and use it(if I eat for example)and I've had my hands in the water....not to be clean but to take care of my health...

Similarly,because I walk a lot(or trudge miles along ther bank)I tend to sweat a great deal so I do bath or shower every day......again,not to be clean but just to feel fresh!

I can well remember going to school with a tide mark around my neck from lack of washing(and others being sent home because of smelly feet)but then we only had a galvanised bath that was used once a week,in fact we didn't have a bathroom til I was 12years old!!
I got into the habit of showering once or twice a day when travelling abroad(for work)in very hot countries-try Dubai in the hot season with 100% humidity and you'll know what I mean!!
And anyway,I'm old fashion enough to think that its nice to tumble into bed with the wife and feel really fresh-after all she does the same for me!!

....its respect for your partner isn't it?????

Reaction score
There is a lot of evidence to suggest that over-cleanliness is causing health problems for subsequent generations.... SEE HERE

Personally I carry Kryston Klinik and use it on bankside wounds, but that's my only concession to Health and Safety moguls.

Having travelled extensively in India (nearly 3 years overseas) and only suffering one bout of food poisoning, I reckon there's a good case for a bit of dirt doing you no harm.

I think I'd have gone crazy as a kid in rural Warwickshire if my mum and dad had been adherents to the current over-protectionist mood...

Viva la revolution Cliff!

Mind you though, I do have to carry a complete medi-kit (including bolt-cutters, defibrillator and rubber ring) when fishing with Lunghi Jim...

Last edited:

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Tip of the Day: Dirty great bottle of shampoo from Asda - .38p. Does a good job of washing your hair and works well as bath-soap; does the dishes, floors, work surfaces, paintwork, and brings the car up a treat. I thang yow!

Rodney Wrestt

Reaction score
I'm another who uses the alcohol gel if I'm going to have something to eat, but that's it till I get home and have a shower or bath for the same reason given by Tee-Cee, respect for the person that gets closest to you.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Paul: That's the whole point..perhaps its misguided to totally annihilate every last bacterium!

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Indeed, I was being facetious. A little dirt in your sandwiches and the odd fly in your beer never hurt anyone.

Those adverts for the self-pumping handwash dispensers really get my goat. Conning people into buying them because you don't have to touch a bacterium riddled pump?

Aside from anything else, you touch the pump before you wash your hands with the subsequently dispensed soap. So unless you touch it again afterwards there exists no health benefit whatsoever - real or dramatised.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Paul: the irony of your comment eventually filtered through to my brain-box some 2 days later whilst having a bath! Doh! Sorry, pal!