Up To My Neck in Neoprene

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I'll definately do this again next Summer. The boat traffic will be more intense so I'll have to work on Mark W. to get him to show me some of his bank/shore marks.

My only gripe of the whole day was who the hell allowed the development in front of The Priory? Such a pity but I guess money talks.

IMG_7409.jpg

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Tell you what, Neil, we've been talking about having a calendar for 2012 and one of those pictures looks very promising -

files.php

We'd talked about this before, if you remember, Peter Jacobs raised it. It may become a strong possibility...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As someone who came close to losing his life many years ago wading in what I thought was a thin layer of mud over firm gravel, I can't stress enough that tidal areas are far from safe to wade especially at depth like this. There are many areas of firm bank and solid gravel where it is far safer and more comfortable to fish. Those seeking the big mullet have abandoned this spot in favour of fishing from boats. I caught mullet from a number of shore marks this summer and didn't fish others that I know have produced in the past. The big mullet are crafty beggars and learn to avoid danger spots. I found them this year through a great deal of observation and legwork but catching average ones isn't too hard.

Nigel Connor

Reaction score
Mark, I have fished this area for well over a decade and am perfectly comfortable with my approach and never take unjustifiable risk in any of my fishing. I would not fish at this depth if there was any degree of boat traffic given the swell and would retreat further back. That said I would certainly reiterate the advice that an angler should only attempt deep wading in water that they are completely familiar with.

The luxury of detailed obsevation and legwork is only available to those who have the time and opportunity which living in Watford and working full time with two children I do not have.In the interim I will be happy with catching the average ones knowing one day I will catch a fish bigger than my fairly average by Christchurch standards PB of 6lb 7oz

Sadly I do not have a boat so it is not an option although perhaps I should look at the option of a high horse stabled nearby or perhaps even a pulpit? (smiley winky thing inserted)

Last edited: