Marginally Overlooked

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Excellent - now that's a good educational article. Just make sure that cap isn't a white one!

mol

Reaction score
I enjoyed that alot more than the last article. I tend to switch off when articles appear to be too much like an advert, that why I don't buy the comics anymore

Personally I've always found the margins to be hit and miss, some lakes margins resond well and some don't

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Practical,easy to follow information for anyone wanting to try something new or different.....even the pics make summer that little bit closer..

It will be interesting to see how many hits this gets!

I visited a small pit this morning and one or two fish where moving in the margins so I shall be out early tomorrow.Water is obviously still very cold but the odd swirl suggests fish might be feeding..

I really hope people give this method a try-its heart stopping stuff!

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I enjoyed that alot more than the last article. I tend to switch off when articles appear to be too much like an advert, that why I don't buy the comics anymore

Personally I've always found the margins to be hit and miss, some lakes margins resond well and some don't

Very true. Bankside disturbance plays a part, but even then there are some quiet places where the carp just don't patrol the margins. The best waters for margin carping seem to be those with few features further out and no inaccessible banks or bays where the carp can lie up in peace. Time of year has a bearing too; spring and early summer being the best times. As the summer fades into autumn, so the carp seem to melt away into the deeper water to feed - at least, they do on my waters. They do show up in the edge occasionally in midwinter, usually where there's cover overhead, but they are not often interested in feeding.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Nice article Ian. I do think that trends and tradition happen. If it is successful to catch at distance and is widely publicized then poeple fish this way. Hence at distance to gravel patch or far bank or far margin, usually up to islands. Seldom near side margin or at your feet. It's a case of being a thinking angler and not a following on angler. Quiet and stealth is key.

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
...and isn't it lovely to see a single rod and a net photographed beneath the shady boughs....?

fishing mad 13

Reaction score
im 13 ive only had 3 double figure carp 1 from margins and other 2 from like 10ft to othe bank in the corner of the lake:)

chav professor

Reaction score
Super Article Ian, really enjoyed this one!!!! Nothing gets the heart beating fatser than discovering carp feeding over some free offereings in the margins - electric.

BTW Carp love hanging around the margins - they feed quite safely eating all the 'munga' that gets spilt from the spod when it is launched into the horizon (well 30 yards out if their lucky)...........:D

sagalout

Reaction score
Last summer (remember that in the distant past :() I fished one lake where the carp would come up a step drop off to feed literally under me feet in about a foot of water. I could not get them to pick up me bait, every free offering, but never the bait. Paste was an instant cure.

noknot

Reaction score
Informative and nicely written Ian! Thank you!

Over the years I have caught many Carp in the margins, either stalking or setting the traps overnight. One that I remember well, was a F/S mirror, I caught it twice in a day from the same spot not a yard out on the same rod and bait!:cool:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I did go this morning for 5hours and although the water was cold-45degrees at the surface and 43 at 6'-I did catch two fish approx 4' from my bank!
Both fancied lumps of bacon grill(almost freelined)over a minimal bed of hemp.....one went 7lbs and the other 17,5lbs so I was well pleased.
Weather-very mild and blowing a gale,but in gusts,so it was quite chilly sitting face on to the wind...

The bigger fish fought well in the shallow water(around 3/4' deep)and was ice cold to the touch...............almost death-like..

cg74

Reaction score
Again, another nice article.... Shame the reason for having to pen it so soon after previous one.

Ian Gemson

Reaction score
Hi All many thanks for all of the positive comments on the article. I do try and reach as many anglers as possible with my articles with some being focused upon the more skilled anglers both young and old and some focused upon anglers who need help and advise in an attempt to help them up the learning ladder of water craft.
I will in the future try and refrain from the S P O D word as it seems to light the touch paper on a few peoples inner frustrations ( walk away from the heated debate)
Thanks again all and tight lines in 2011.